The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Inbounding after a made basket, 2 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51710-inbounding-after-made-basket-2-a.html)

bbcoach7 Tue Feb 17, 2009 02:43am

Inbounding after a made basket, 2

After the made basket- Inbounder steps out of bounds with the ball and no one is open. A team mate steps out of bounds along same end line and original inbounder passes the ball to this team mate who has stepped out.

Here's my question- does the player stepping out of bounds have to establish her feet out of bounds before she can catch the ball from the original inbounds passer?

I coach JV and we do this often in practice because we scrimmage varsity every day and we have to use everything we can to compete. Sometimes the player stepping out will be in the air (feet haven't landed OOB yet) as she catches the ball, and I suspect it's a violation.

We've never actually had to do this in a game, as nobody has pressured us like our own varsity. :D

just another ref Tue Feb 17, 2009 02:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcoach7 (Post 580256)
After the made basket- Inbounder steps out of bounds with the ball and no one is open. A team mate steps out of bounds along same end line and original inbounder passes the ball to this team mate who has stepped out.

Here's my question- does the player stepping out of bounds have to establish her feet out of bounds before she can catch the ball from the original inbounds passer?

I coach JV and we do this often in practice because we scrimmage varsity every day and we have to use everything we can to compete. Sometimes the player stepping out will be in the air (feet haven't landed OOB yet) as she catches the ball, and I suspect it's a violation.

We've never actually had to do this in a game, as nobody has pressured us like our own varsity. :D

The second player does have to be out of bounds, which means have something touch out of bounds, not necessarily both feet, and no longer have anything touching inbounds.

shishstripes Tue Feb 17, 2009 03:52am

As long as nothing is in bounds (partially or otherwise) and something is out of bounds, the player is out of bounds. I bring up the partially because if their foot were on the line and heal inbounds (other foot in the air), not legal because they are not completely out of bounds. But if their foot was on the line and nothing inbounds, legal. Or completely out of bounds legal. Not both feet but one foot is fine as long as the other is not still inbounds.

Nevadaref Tue Feb 17, 2009 03:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by shishstripes (Post 580265)
As long as nothing is in bounds (partially or otherwise) and something is out of bounds, the player is out of bounds. I bring up the partially because if their foot were on the line and heal inbounds (other foot in the air), not legal because they are not completely out of bounds. But if their foot was on the line and nothing inbounds, legal. Or completely out of bounds legal. Not both feet but one foot is fine as long as the other is not still inbounds.

You are correct, but you need to emphasize WHY this isn't allowed in this particular situation.