The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   After a goal... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51694-after-goal.html)

refguy Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:53pm

After a goal...

After a successful goal, can more than two players of the throw-in team pass the ball along the end line to teammates who are also out of bounds?

Adam Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refguy (Post 579983)
After a successful goal, can more than two players of the throw-in team pass the ball along the end line to teammates who are also out of bounds?

The rules do not specify a limit.

Mark Padgett Mon Feb 16, 2009 01:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 579985)

Actually, the rules specify you cannot have more than five. ;)

refguy Mon Feb 16, 2009 01:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 579985)

NCAA and NFHS are the same? I looked and I couldn't find any reference to a maximum.

Adam Mon Feb 16, 2009 01:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refguy (Post 579997)
NCAA and NFHS are the same? I looked and I couldn't find any reference to a maximum.

I assume they're the same on this, but I'm only positive about NFHS.

No reference to a maximum means there's on maximum (well, aside from 5, as Mark pointed out.)

GoodwillRef Mon Feb 16, 2009 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refguy (Post 579983)

Are you taking Quiz #4 for W-NCAA on E officials?

BillyMac Mon Feb 16, 2009 08:52pm

Quantities are limited while supplies last.

After a goal, or awarded goal, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from any point outside the end line. A team retains this “run the endline” privilege if a timeout is called during the dead ball period after the goal. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate outside the boundary line.

JugglingReferee Mon Feb 16, 2009 08:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 580179)
After a goal, or awarded goal, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from any point outside the end line. A team retains this “run the endline” privilege if a timeout is called during the dead ball period after the goal. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate outside the boundary line.

What if the throw-in is as a result of a Team B violation on a throw-in after a made or awarded basket? :D

BillyMac Mon Feb 16, 2009 09:35pm

Contains no artificial colors or ingredients.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 580180)
What if the throw-in is as a result of a Team B violation on a throw-in after a made basket.

You mean like a defender crossing the boundary line, or where the first touch inbounds is a kick by the defender? I think the new offensive team still retains the right to run the endline in these two cases? What are you trying to tell me? Can you give me some examples? What's wrong with my statement? This comes from the Misunderstood Rules list, and I don't want one of the rules on my list to be wrong, and even more misunderstood. Help. Please.

JugglingReferee Mon Feb 16, 2009 09:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 580195)
You mean like a defender crossing the boundary line, or where the first touch inbounds is a kick by the defender? I think the new offensive team still retains the right to run the endline in these two cases? What are you trying to tell me? Can you give me some examples? What's wrong with my statement? This comes from the Misunderstood Rules list, and I don't want one of the rules on my list to be wrong, and even more misunderstood. Help. Please.

Certainly a kick by B would allow A to continue to run the endline. Is it fair that B can commit an illegal act and benefit from it?

shishstripes Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:36pm

And I am sure the 5 limit Mark is referring to is 5 seconds. It would be mighty hard to pass to four teammates within the 5 second count let alone 5.

And if the opponent violates, they retain the privilege as Juggling refers.

Nevadaref Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by shishstripes (Post 580221)
And I am sure the 5 limit Mark is referring to is 5 seconds. It would be mighty hard to pass to four teammates within the 5 second count let alone 5.

And if the opponent violates, they retain the privilege as Juggling refers.

Or fouls during the throw-in. ;)

7-5-7b. A team retains this privilege if the scoring team commits a violation or common foul (before the throw-in ends and before the bonus is in effect) and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on the end line.

BTW, Billy, I think that you should amend your comment to specify that the time-out can come during the dead ball following the goal OR DURING the throw-in itself.