The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Something you just cant ignore? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51690-something-you-just-cant-ignore.html)

hugheske44 Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:30am

Something you just cant ignore?

Question for all your veteran officials...has there ever been a comment that you just couldnt ignore?

After 4 yrs officiating someone hit my sore spot I guess.... There were 2 guys sitting on the endline away from the other fans, I think they were school administrators to be able to sit that close to the court. I make a traveling call on the other end, girl switched her pivot foot. Come down and am lead, hear one of the men say "This ref is like Jerrys kids". He didnt just say it once, but several references to all of us officials being jerrys kids. I didnt take my eyes off the court, but after the game (and I know it was wrong), I was leaving the gym and had to walk by them to get out....and I said..."dont make fun of Jerrys kids". The guys asks me what? and I say it again, then he yells, "I didnt say it!" So it must have been the other guy sitting there. I got an email from my assignor I told him what happened because apparently the fan cornered the AD at the school and yelled at him about it. Btw, this was at my former HS, first time back there since I started reffing!

So my question to your vets, we all know its wrong to say anything to fans, but is there anything you couldnt ignore?

I told my assignor I will just have to raise the bar on what Im willing to tolerate obviously~~~

zebraman Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:39am

Sure there are things we hear that can't be ignored, but I am having a hard time thinking of a case when I wouldn't go to the gym manager rather than addressing it myself. Addressing a fan directly is pretty much of a lose-lose situation, IMO.

jdmara Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:50am

As Zebra said, it's a lose-lose situation. Never address the crowd even though it's very very tempting at times. I know there was an opportunity on Friday that I wanted to address a fan directly behind the home team's bench, ironically right behind the belligerent head coach (sorry, I'm venting). During a free throw, I strolled back to the coach and said, "Coach, I can't tell if the arrogant comments are coming from the bench area or not, but they need to stop because they are becoming unruly." He immediately turned around and said to the fan, "Will you shut the heck up before you cost us a technical!!" After the game, he met us outside the locker room and told us that he has been waiting to say something all year to that guy.

99.9% of the time I'm going to ignore it unless it's profane or racially motivated (and I will then inform game management of the situation).

-Josh

Indianaref Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:54am

I asked a similar Q in my first year. This one response from BITS is something that I always remember:

"You can generally lump interactions with fans into two categories. There are those situations where the answer to the question of whether to talk to fans is definitely No. On the other hand, there are those times when the answer is Hell No! Knowing the difference is important"

hugheske44 Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:00pm

"You can generally lump interactions with fans into two categories. There are those situations where the answer to the question of whether to talk to fans is definitely No. On the other hand, there are those times when the answer is Hell No! Knowing the difference is important"

Oh so true and I see it now...thanks~~~

Adam Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:04pm

While I would be really tempted to say something, or at least approach GM to get these knuckleheads to shut up, I'd probably let it go. If you're going to do anything, however, just have GM deal with it.

Mark Padgett Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 579934)
While I would be really tempted to say something, or at least approach GM to get these knuckleheads to shut up, I'd probably let it go. If you're going to do anything, however, just have GM deal with it.

You really expect to get help on this from General Motors? Don't expect them to "bail you out". :p

dbking Mon Feb 16, 2009 02:26pm

Classic

THe opening varsity game of the season is a double header GV / BV game. GV are #1 and #2, it was uneventful. The second game is last years state runner up in class 6a vs a very good rival team.

Behind V's bench, there is a guy making an a$$ out of himself during the first three quarters. I am C, early 4th quarter on a steal, fast break, steal and am in front of V's bench. #20 for V spreads both arms and takes 3 steps toward baseline with 3 defenders behind him and clears the path for the dribbler to score. I call the moving screen. This guy goes ballistic! I then hear the announcer state the name of player the foul is on.

The father of #20 is a D2 NCAA men's coach that has something like 700 victories in his career. The gym is packed and you can hear this guy yelling about the call for the rest of the fourth quarter. I finally asked the coach if he was like this every game and he said, "Unfortunately, he sits behind the bench each game and proceeds to coach his son and the rest of the team." Glad I do not see them very often.

Texas Aggie Mon Feb 16, 2009 04:18pm

Quote:

but is there anything you couldnt ignore
Nope. There's absolutely NOTHING you can't ignore. If you feel their behavior is justified for them to be removed, have game management do that, otherwise, forget about it.

As far as getting to you, don't ever allow someone the power to affect your actions or way of thinking. Nobody has that power over me.

dsturdy5 Mon Feb 16, 2009 04:55pm

This got me thinking about a local rec league I work. There is no GM. The director is never anywhere to be found. The coaches and players know they can get away with being disrepectful since most of the coaches work as a favor to their friend, the league director. I have only had one run-in in this league, but I am among the lucky ones. Several officials I know have had rather difficult times with spectators in this league.

How would you handle an in-game scenario here where there is no designated site administrator?

grunewar Mon Feb 16, 2009 05:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsturdy5 (Post 580110)
This got me thinking about a local rec league I work. There is no GM. The director is never anywhere to be found. The coaches and players know they can get away with being disrepectful since most of the coaches work as a favor to their friend, the league director. I have only had one run-in in this league, but I am among the lucky ones. Several officials I know have had rather difficult times with spectators in this league.

How would you handle an in-game scenario here where there is no designated site administrator?

Unfortunately, this situation sounds similar to the Rec Leagues I work. I believe I have a fairly high tolerance and show patience with parents and fans. I have always "pre-gamed" that if there was a problem that required my attention, I would call the coaches together and let the offending coach know he has 1 minute to clear that fan/parent out of the gym or his team forfeits. "Table - start the clock."

Hope I never have to use it.

Texas Aggie Mon Feb 16, 2009 05:34pm

I don't know why you guys put yourselves through that rec league crap without on site authority. It CAN'T be worth it. They aren't going to get the message until there are no officials willing to work.

dsturdy5 Mon Feb 16, 2009 06:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 580134)
I don't know why you guys put yourselves through that rec league crap without on site authority. It CAN'T be worth it. They aren't going to get the message until there are no officials willing to work.

In this situation there is an over zealous assignor who, if no one self assigns these games, will put them upon his officials. Those turning back too often or turning back without "acceptable reasons" get shafted from future assignments in all leagues. Best situation? No, but he has control over four of the five high school leagues in the area and if you want to work, you basically have to be on this guy's good side.

Raymond Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsturdy5 (Post 580149)
In this situation there is an over zealous assignor who, if no one self assigns these games, will put them upon his officials. Those turning back too often or turning back without "acceptable reasons" get shafted from future assignments in all leagues. Best situation? No, but he has control over four of the five high school leagues in the area and if you want to work, you basically have to be on this guy's good side.

Then in this case you are Game Admin. Forfeit a few games and the fans/players will get the message.

Adam Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsturdy5 (Post 580149)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 580323)
Then in this case you are Game Admin. Forfeit a few games and the fans/players will get the message.

Yup, sometimes you just have to be a d1ck. Your assigner will either back you or stop assigning you to this crap. You won't have to turn them back.