The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   First Playoff Game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51684-first-playoff-game.html)

force39 Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:03pm

First Playoff Game

I have my first playoff game in a couple of days. I am excited and nervous.
What tips do you guys have for me.
:eek:

JRutledge Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:06pm

Congrats. Have fun working the game. There will likely be more to come.

Peace

bas2456 Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:17pm

Doesn't matter if it's the first game of the year or the playoffs...It's only the playoffs for the teams involved. Playoffs for my intramural league are coming up as well. I think that if the refs get caught up in the fact that it's the playoffs, they won't do as good of a job. Stay true to yourself and officiate just as you always do. You're reffing postseason basketball, so you must be a good official. Keep doing what you're doing.

Mark Padgett Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:21pm

Remember that you were chosen based on your past performance. Therefore, perform in exactly the same way you have been all season. Don't change how you do things just because it's the playoffs. That's what's expected of you.

JRutledge Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 579777)
I think that if the refs get caught up in the fact that it's the playoffs, they won't do as good of a job.

I am not sure I completely agree. You better realize you are on a bigger stage because everyone involved will feel that way and you need to match or understand their intensity. We all have different ways to get prepared for these games, but someone is likely going home or season ending after these games.

Peace

bas2456 Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 579780)
I am not sure I completely agree. You better realize you are on a bigger stage because everyone involved will feel that way and you need to match or understand their intensity. We all have different ways to get prepared for these games, but someone is likely going home or season ending after these games.

Peace

I see your points, and I think I explain what I mean later in my post...basically don't change what you do. The rim is still ten feet high. Sure the game might be a little more intense, but I think composure is a big part of officiating, and to be a good official you need composure.

JRutledge Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 579782)
I see your points, and I think I explain what I mean later in my post...basically don't change what you do. The rim is still ten feet high. Sure the game might be a little more intense, but I think composure is a big part of officiating, and to be a good official you need composure.

That sounds wonderful, but you will not know how to handle your composure until you actually work a game or a situation you are not used to. If someone is working their first playoff game, it might take a game or two for them to know how to conduct themselves. Sometimes you learn that by watching others. But to not expect someone new to get nervous is not very realistic. You can tell someone to keep their composure and they will likely not relax until that first call or first situation they have to deal with.

Peace

Nevadaref Mon Feb 16, 2009 05:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 579779)
Remember that you were chosen based on your past performance. Therefore, perform in exactly the same way you have been all season. Don't change how you do things just because it's the playoffs. That's what's expected of you.

Excellent advice. Continue to do what got you there.

cardinalfan Mon Feb 16, 2009 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by force39 (Post 579769)
I have my first playoff game in a couple of days. I am excited and nervous.
What tips do you guys have for me.
:eek:

*Don't worry if you're a little nervous before the game. The jitters should go away as soon as the game begins.
*Really concentrate every trip down the floor. Hustle. Work your area. You should be with partners who know what they're doing.
*Remember that it is a a big game for the players, coaches, and fans. Sometimes adrenaline flows a little more at the beginning, but they will settle in to their game after the pregame hype wears off.
*Pray it is a good game. A few years ago I was selected to work my first state tournament. The first round girl's game I had was a 30-point foul-fest. Very disappointing, but it got much better after that!
*Finally... have fun! This is what you've been working for. Enjoy it.

force39 Tue Feb 17, 2009 09:38pm

First Playoff game

Well I did it.
It was a blast. Game was close.
Everybody's advice was right on the money. Once the game started
it was like a regular game. Except towards the end with game on the line
the excitement was tremendous, Fan involvement was super. Nothing like
regular season that's for sure.

Thanks for all advice.
Love this game.

cardinalfan Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by force39 (Post 580541)
Well I did it.
It was a blast. Game was close.
Everybody's advice was right on the money. Once the game started
it was like a regular game. Except towards the end with game on the line
the excitement was tremendous, Fan involvement was super. Nothing like
regular season that's for sure.

Thanks for all advice.
Love this game.

Congrats!

PIAA REF Wed Feb 18, 2009 01:00pm

Good Job

Congrats, Way to Go!