The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Halftime dunk (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51670-halftime-dunk.html)

lmeadski Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:40pm

Halftime dunk

Possession arrow is pointed in team A's direction. During halftime warmup, player from team A gets assessed a technical for dunking. The refs awarded two free throws to team B. Team A still received the second half throw in. Correct?

BktBallRef Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmeadski (Post 579624)
Possession arrow is pointed in team A's direction. During halftime warmup, player from team A gets assessed a technical for dunking. The refs awarded two free throws to team B. Team A still received the second half throw in. Correct?

Incorrect. Team B shoots two FTs and gets the ball at the division line. The arrow doesn't change.

Coach gets an indirect T and loses the coaching box.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmeadski (Post 579624)

Correct? NFHS: No. NCAA Men's/Women's: Yes.

MTD, Sr.

shishstripes Sun Feb 15, 2009 03:39pm

Had a similar situation in a game a month ago where player jumped up and pulled the rim down. I walked over to his coach and told him, you know we will be starting the half off with a T for that right? The throw in to start the half is not an AP in NFHS it is for the T. The arrow stays where it is.

In my case, the team was up 1 ending the 1st half, both FT were made now down 1 and off the inbounds the team made a lay-in now down 3. It should have been their ball, very dumb. This was a momentum shift the HT needed. They ended up losing the game.

bob jenkins Mon Feb 16, 2009 09:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 579628)
Correct? NFHS: No. NCAA Men's/Women's: Yes.

MTD, Sr.

Aren't NCAAW allowed to dunk during half-time?

Adam Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 579833)

I thought NCAAM were, too.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 579833)

Bob and Snaqs:

My answer was tailored specificially for lmeadski's question: "Team A still received the second half throw in. Correct?"

NFHS and NCAA Men's rules are the same. It is a TF for a player to dunk a dead ball before the start of the game, during the game, and during any intermission. NCAA Women's rules state that it is a TF for a player to dunk a dead ball during the game.

The answers to Imeadski's question are:

NFHS: No. The TF against A1 is, for scorekeeping purposes, is considered to have occured in the third quarter. The third quarter starts with the Team B receiving two free throws and then possession of the ball for a throw-in at the division line extended on the sideline opposite the Scorer's/Timer's Table.

NCAA Men's: Yes. The TF against A1 is, for scorekeeping purposes, is considered to have occured in the second half, but play is resumed by the POI rule, which means that the AP Arrow is used to determine who takes the throw-in to start the second half; the AP Arrow was pointed toward Team A's basket so Team A receives the ball for an AP Throw-in to start the second half.

NCAA Women's: Yes. Since the dunk occured during the halftime intemission no TF has been committed. The AP Arrow was pointed toward Team A's basket so Team A receives the ball for an AP Throw-in to start the second half.

Therefore, if the game officials started the second half using the AP Arrow, they were incorrect in a game played using NFHS Rules and correct in a game using NCAA Men's/Women's Rules.

MTD, Sr.

Adam Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:31pm

Thanks, Mark. The officials must not have been on the court yet when the guys were dunking at the games I attended while in college.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 579961)
Thanks, Mark. The officials must not have been on the court yet when the guys were dunking at the games I attended while in college.

Snaqs:

You mean you guys were out on the court with a step ladder more than thirty minutes before the scheduled start of the game? :D

MTD, Sr.

Adam Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 579965)
Snaqs:

You mean you guys were out on the court with a step ladder more than thirty minutes before the scheduled start of the game? :D

MTD, Sr.

Not "us." The guys on the team. It was NAIA, but I thought they used NCAA rules.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 579970)
Not "us." The guys on the team. It was NAIA, but I thought they used NCAA rules.

NAIA does use NCAA Rules, I just thought that you were one of the "sky walkers" for your school, :D.

MTD, Sr.

Adam Mon Feb 16, 2009 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 579981)
NAIA does use NCAA Rules, I just thought that you were one of the "sky walkers" for your school, :D.

MTD, Sr.

I think I nicked the rim a couple of times in high school, with the tip of my finger.

bob jenkins Mon Feb 16, 2009 05:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 579956)
My answer was tailored specificially for lmeadski's question: "Team A still received the second half throw in. Correct?"

But, that wasn't his question.

His question was along the lines of "B received two FTs. A had the ball for an AP throw in. Correct?"

BillyMac Mon Feb 16, 2009 09:15pm

Slippery when wet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 579998)
I think I nicked the rim a couple of times in high school, with the tip of my finger.

I could dunk when I was in high school, but I was never able to dunk in a game, because, for some reason, the officials back then, would insist on using a basketball instead of a tennis ball in the game.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Feb 16, 2009 09:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 580136)
But, that wasn't his question.

His question was along the lines of "B received two FTs. A had the ball for an AP throw in. Correct?"

Bob:

I know. And my answers are correct with respect to his question.

MTD, Sr.