The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I so wanted to.... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51589-i-so-wanted.html)

CoachP Wed Feb 11, 2009 03:38pm

I so wanted to....

whip out my rule book.....

Girls Varsity last night. We were down by 4 late in the 4th quarter shooting 2 at the line. A1 misses the first.

I (at the last second) decide I want to change from our zone press to a M2M press. So I call a time out just as A1 starts her habitual pre free throw dribbles. She stops and looks at me, trail is still counting and lead is now looking at me like I am from Mars.

Couple seconds go by and I verbalize and signal again. Lead finally huffs over to me and says "we're in the middle of a FT coach". I said "yeah duh, MY free throw!" (Ok I didn't really say the duh part....)

A1 is still holding the ball and Trail comes over to join the party. They discuss and grant me the TO as last because I already "interuppted the game long enough."

Chess Ref Wed Feb 11, 2009 03:50pm

Do you actually have a rulebook at the game ? I would be impressed.:cool: Around here its a stretch for an occasional coach that even knows the color of the book,nevermind whats in it....:rolleyes:

CoachP Wed Feb 11, 2009 04:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref (Post 578230)
Do you actually have a rulebook at the game ? I would be impressed.:cool: Around here its a stretch for an occasional coach that even knows the color of the book,nevermind whats in it....:rolleyes:

Ha! :p
Yeah, it's in the briefcase.....with the ball needles, pressure gauge, dry erase markers, excedrin and ibuprofin....and usually behind my chair.

BillyMac Wed Feb 11, 2009 08:23pm

I Thought The P In CoachP Stood For Pee Wee Herman ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 578219)
I so wanted to whip out my .....

That was close. I thought you were going to say something else.

ripcord51 Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:53pm

When in doubt I whip it out, got me a rock and rock band

mbyron Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ripcord51 (Post 578395)
When in doubt I whip it out, got me a rock and rock band

Thanks, Ted. :rolleyes:

Terrapins Fan Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:54pm

I had a coach last week that losing by 20 points calls a time out with under 2 minutes to play.

Oh, that's not all, with under a minute to play he calls another still down by about 20.

Then with 9 seconds left, he calls another, still down by about 20 points....I got his point, he had all night and 5 time outs. We granted them all.

dsqrddgd909 Thu Feb 12, 2009 01:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan (Post 578604)
We granted them all.

<---Newbie
Does a ref have a choice in granting or not granting them? :confused:

As a coach, I wonder if he was trying to get people in or was using it as a teaching opportunity?

Chess Ref Thu Feb 12, 2009 03:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan (Post 578604)
I had a coach last week that losing by 20 points calls a time out with under 2 minutes to play.

Oh, that's not all, with under a minute to play he calls another still down by about 20.

Then with 9 seconds left, he calls another, still down by about 20 points....I got his point, he had all night and 5 time outs. We granted them all.

From the tone of the post it sounded like he was trying some kind of head games....Puhleeze I got all night and into the morning if thats how long it takes to finish the game. Take your time outs and I'll look at the mommys. :cool:

PS if thats the best he's got he needs to spend a weekend with my wife and her 4 sisters. That will have your head spinning.