The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Intentional last night (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51579-intentional-last-night.html)

Rich Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:24pm

Intentional last night

We had a barnburner last night (see the Great night) thread. Home team was up on the #2 team in the state 24-9 after 1 period. Visiting team came back in the second to lead 36-35 at the half.

I was the trail, new lead in transtition. Outlet pass to D-1 recruit who would've likely gone up with a two handed dunk. He started to go up, defender put two hands around his waist, and the kid still managed to lay it in. Count it, intentional, ended up being a 4-point play and the ball. I didn't hesitate on the intentional.

There was a bit of confusion on the free throws and I had to explain to the home coach why the player was getting a second free throw. Then he asked, "You mean they're going to have a chance to get six points on that?" I walked away.

Both partners thought it was a good call and since I haven't seen any video, I'll go with what I saw. The C said he wrapped his arms so far around he could've touched hands behind the back. I don't know if it was that bad, but it was one hand on either side holding the shooter down.

The morning paper reported the foul as a flagrant. :rolleyes:

grunewar Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 578091)
The morning paper reported the foul as a flagrant. :rolleyes:

With accurate, informative knowledge like this, he should be the "color commentator" for CBS shortly! :D

Rich Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:50pm

The scorer asked for a clarification at halftime while I was over setting the arrow, checking the books, retrieving the jackets, etc. I gave it to him. He said, "Shouldn't that have been one shot?" I gave him the full reply: "All intentional personal fouls...."

The kid writing the post on wishoops got it right, though.

26 Year Gap Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:55pm

Coach had it wrong. Could be more than 6 points depending on how the possession went for the opposing team.

Rich Wed Feb 11, 2009 01:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 578111)
Coach had it wrong. Could be more than 6 points depending on how the possession went for the opposing team.

I wasn't about to correct him. :p

It ended up being 4. They held for a last shot and then tried to get bailed out on a 3 in my primary at the horn (kid double clutched and then threw himself into the defender).

Mregor Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 578091)
Then he asked, "You mean they're going to have a chance to get six points on that?" :rolleyes:

No coach, it could be 7 if they make a three.

Rich Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mregor (Post 578376)
No coach, it could be 7 if they make a three.

I thought it, but didn't say it.

Da Official Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:45am

RichMSN, it's GREAT to hear about an official actually calling the Intentional foul! Thank you!!!

Rich Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da Official (Post 578516)
RichMSN, it's GREAT to hear about an official actually calling the Intentional foul! Thank you!!!

It could be five more years until I call another one, though. :D