The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Intentional foul mechanic

I'm sure I screwed this up, so time to get the mechanics right ...

A1 driving to the hoop, beats his man B1 by more than a step. B1 grabs him from behind as he goes in the air for the layup with one hand on each hip.

I stop the clock with fist, then make the initial signal for intentional foul with both hands over head. My partner clears the lane and I head for the table.
At table I give the holding call and verbally call it intentional. B coach thinks
I have changed my mind about intentional call and starts yelling that my partner is vlearing the lane.

I clearly signaled intentional foul and my partner got it, but showing the hold signal at the table confused the coach. Should I have stuck with intentional foul signal at the table as well?

My perceived uncertainty (actually I was never uncertain at all, but coach thought I was) led to some extra fireworks from the coach, and I almost had to T him as well.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 10:37am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
I'm sure I screwed this up, so time to get the mechanics right ...

A1 driving to the hoop, beats his man B1 by more than a step. B1 grabs him from behind as he goes in the air for the layup with one hand on each hip.

I stop the clock with fist, then make the initial signal for intentional foul with both hands over head. My partner clears the lane and I head for the table.
At table I give the holding call and verbally call it intentional. B coach thinks I have changed my mind about intentional call and starts yelling that my partner is clearing the lane.

I clearly signaled intentional foul and my partner got it, but showing the hold signal at the table confused the coach. Should I have stuck with intentional foul signal at the table as well?

My perceived uncertainty (actually I was never uncertain at all, but coach thought I was) led to some extra fireworks from the coach, and I almost had to T him as well.
I think there are bigger things to worry about than an official not signalling the X at the table. However, if a coach didn't hear you, then you could just remind him that you verbalized "intentional". If need be, go back and signal INT to the table, if just you left the FRA.

Hey, if you gotta T the coach, then do it. But avoid it, get away the other side ASAYC, and let his voice make it clear that he deserves a T.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 10:50am
In Memoriam

Quote:
At table I give the holding call and verbally call it intentional. B coach thinks
I have changed my mind about intentional call and starts yelling that my partner is vlearing the lane.

YU.P.
Giving the X at the table is a good idea.
In fact, giving the X at the outer reaches of the *reporting area* is a better idea.
If the coach needs some clarification, then show him the hold or push. ...But he probably knew what happened during the play and won't even ask.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 11:01am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

This is the very reason you do not listen to coaches. If your partners saw your signal, then he probably did to. If he did not see it, tough titty.

Peace