The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   backcourt, II- Control (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51548-backcourt-ii-control.html)

mutantducky Tue Feb 10, 2009 04:14am

backcourt, II- Control

This was from the Missouri/Kansas game. This didn't happen but after I saw a play kind of similar I thought of it. Team A shoots and ball rebounds off. Ball batted around without control to either team. Ball going out of bounds and A1 jumps in air, catches the ball and throws it into the backcourt.
1. Is there control in that situation even if A1 is in the air so if Team A gets the ball in the BC a violation would be called.
2. If A1 had done a controlled tip saving the ball would this change anything?
I seem to remember that some people here said that if a player tries to do a controlled tip off a rebound to a teammate and that goes in the BC then there isn't a violation because there isn't control.
----In the game a player saved the ball while going out of bounds. He had control of it and threw it behind into the backcourt. I think his feet were on the ground. Team was then called for a bc violation. Not sure what happened before.

Nevadaref Tue Feb 10, 2009 04:19am

Any catching or holding of the ball establishes player control and thus team control as well. If the player catches/holds the ball, even with only one hand, while airborne, then the ball has the same fc/bc status as the player and that is based upon where the player was last in contact with the floor.

So if you deem that the player held the ball with one hand and threw it, then a backcourt violation has occurred. However, if the player merely bats the ball without ever holding it, then there was no violation.

mutantducky Tue Feb 10, 2009 04:22am

thx

mbyron Tue Feb 10, 2009 07:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 577544)
Any catching or holding of the ball establishes player control and thus team control as well. If the player catches/holds the ball, even with only one hand, while airborne, then the ball has the same fc/bc status as the player and that is based upon where the player was last in contact with the floor.

So if you deem that the player held the ball with one hand and threw it, then a backcourt violation has occurred. However, if the player merely bats the ball without ever holding it, then there was no violation.

The ESPN clowns actually said something along these lines last night during the MO/KS game. Screwed up much else, of course, in order to keep their reputations.

zm1283 Tue Feb 10, 2009 08:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 577565)
The ESPN clowns actually said something along these lines last night during the MO/KS game. Screwed up much else, of course, in order to keep their reputations.

I'm pretty sure I also heard them say that you can block a shot that has already hit the backboard. Isn't that goaltending in NCAA and NBA, but not NFHS?

One of them also used the term "side out" on a non shooting foul. :rolleyes:

bob jenkins Tue Feb 10, 2009 09:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 577544)

Agreed. Benefit of the doubt to it being a "tip / tap / bat" instead of a "pass."

Camron Rust Wed Feb 11, 2009 02:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 577621)
Agreed. Benefit of the doubt to it being a "tip / tap / bat" instead of a "pass."

And to add to Bob' comments....

Don't call it a "controlled tip/tap". Leave the term control for actual player or team control. A tip/tap is just a tip/tap even if it is done so in a deliberate direction..

Nevadaref Wed Feb 11, 2009 07:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 577588)
I'm pretty sure I also heard them say that you can block a shot that has already hit the backboard. Isn't that goaltending in NCAA and NBA, but not NFHS?

You don't have the complete picture.

Under current NCAA rules, there are cases when a player can block a shot AFTER the ball has contacted the backboard. The rule only prohibits touching the ball after it has struck the backboard, if the ball is completely above the level of the ring and has a chance to enter the basket.

So, for example, if a player swats the ball while part of it is BELOW the level of the ring, then this is legal even if the it has already contacted the backboard.

Scrapper1 Wed Feb 11, 2009 08:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 577565)

Last night, one of the announcers on the Florida/Kentucky game said the clock would start when the free throw hit the rim. :eek: