The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Great end of game coverage. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51535-great-end-game-coverage.html)

OHBBREF Mon Feb 09, 2009 04:20pm

Great end of game coverage.

Friday BV game in Southeastern Ohio

With 2.6 seconds to play
Team-A trails by 2 points and is in bounding after a made free throw.

A3 is the in bounder, with B5 guarding the pass. A3 releases a pass to 28 ft line in the back court and the pass is tipped by B5, the trail chops time but the timer doesn’t see the chop so clock does not start, A2 gets the pass dribbles to the near the three point line free throw line extended and is fouled, whistles and a try goes up, the horn goes off and the try falls through.

There were two whistles on the play, 1 from the C calling the foul and one from the trail for the expiration of time, prior to the horn going off.

Took them about a minute to 90 seconds to sort it out and nobody was terribly upset about it because they handled it quickly and decisively

The sort out was as follows:
C had a first whistle – foul - before the try, (try would have been for two), time stopped, dead ball,
T’s whistle followed immediately after C’s whistle and after T had count of 2.

Team-A in the double bonus,
Put 5 tenths on the clock
Line up to shoot the double bonus

They went to overtime.
Commendable job!

A Pennsylvania Coach Mon Feb 09, 2009 04:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBBREF (Post 577349)
Friday BV game in Southeastern Ohio

With 2.6 seconds to play
Team-A trails by 2 points and is in bounding after a made free throw.

A3 is the in bounder, with B5 guarding the pass. A3 releases a pass to 28 ft line in the back court and the pass is tipped by B5, the trail chops time but the timer doesn’t see the chop so clock does not start, A2 gets the pass dribbles to the near the three point line free throw line extended and is fouled, whistles and a try goes up, the horn goes off and the try falls through.

There were two whistles on the play, 1 from the C calling the foul and one from the trail for the expiration of time, prior to the horn going off.

Took them about a minute to 90 seconds to sort it out and nobody was terribly upset about it because they handled it quickly and decisively

The sort out was as follows:
C had a first whistle – foul - before the try, (try would have been for two), time stopped, dead ball,
T’s whistle followed immediately after C’s whistle and after T had count of 2.

Team-A in the double bonus,
Put 5 tenths on the clock
Line up to shoot the double bonus

They went to overtime.
Commendable job!

Why did T blow his whistle?

Why did they put up 0.5 instead of 0.6?

Was the C calling a non-shooting foul?

What count did T have going that he got to "two" on?

JugglingReferee Mon Feb 09, 2009 04:53pm

Did the T blow his whistle so that people would know he had info to share?

I can accept taking off 2.1s if the T "hit 2.0s just before the C's whistle went".

I guess the T was smart enough to keep a count going once the ball had FC status?

But it only took 2.1s for the ball to travel from a tipped inbounds pass to a shot at the FTLE @ the other end of the court?

OHBBREF Mon Feb 09, 2009 05:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach (Post 577364)
Why did T blow his whistle??

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 577367)

T kept his count going since the ball was tipped on the inbound pass and when the clock wasn't moving they needed a count.

Quote:

Why did they put up 0.5 instead of 0.6??

The T aknowledged that the C blew his whistle before te T got to the complete his count, but becuse they were so close together the T blew the whistle to expire time.
The count was after 2 but not the next half arm stroke, all felt that .5 was the correct number.

Quote:

Was the C calling a non-shooting foul??

Because it happened right in front of him and he felt in needed to be called.

Quote:

What count did T have going that he got to "two" on?

T had a count going because the ball was tipped on the inbound and the clock started late.

Quote:

Quote:

I can accept taking off 2.1s if the T "hit 2.0s just before the C's whistle went".

I guess the T was smart enough to keep a count going once the ball had FC status?

But it only took 2.1s for the ball to travel from a tipped inbounds pass to a shot at the FTLE @ the other end of the court?

I didn't actually see the last seconds of the game I am going by the descriptions of several officils who saw the play and the R on the game who was the Lead on this play.

bc7 Mon Feb 09, 2009 07:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBBREF (Post 577349)

They went to overtime.
Commendable job!

I have to beat Mark to the joke here....

Isn't that an oxymoron? :D

fullor30 Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bc7 (Post 577401)
I have to beat Mark to the joke here....

Isn't that an oxymoron? :D

More like a contradiction in terms.

Oxymoron ..............Jumbo shrimp

JugglingReferee Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBBREF (Post 577370)
T kept his count going since the ball was tipped on the inbound pass and when the clock wasn't moving they needed a count.

The T aknowledged that the C blew his whistle before te T got to the complete his count, but becuse they were so close together the T blew the whistle to expire time.
The count was after 2 but not the next half arm stroke, all felt that .5 was the correct number.

Because it happened right in front of him and he felt in needed to be called.

T had a count going because the ball was tipped on the inbound and the clock started late.

I didn't actually see the last seconds of the game I am going by the descriptions of several officils who saw the play and the R on the game who was the Lead on this play.

Smart T!