The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   T on a coach for screaming at Own Team? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51527-t-coach-screaming-own-team.html)

dsqrddgd909 Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:43am

T on a coach for screaming at Own Team?

I was scorer at a Boys Freshman game. The V coach screamed at the top of his voice the entire game including things like "You're all playing like crap." "You better hope I don't make you walk back home." "I have never had a worse team." All this from a team that was killing the home team and has a very good record.

Ever T a coach for this or warn him?

doubleringer Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:48am

Why would you? This is none of our business.

mbyron Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 (Post 577157)
I was scorer at a Boys Freshman game. The V coach screamed at the top of his voice the entire game including things like "You're all playing like crap." "You better hope I don't make you walk back home." "I have never had a worse team." All this from a team that was killing the home team and has a very good record.

The rules do not prohibit being a jerk.

Juulie Downs Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:18am

Actually, it's in the books somewhere (or it used to be) that you have the right to T this coach, but you'd better be judicious about it. I wouldn't unless there was serious profanity or downright abuse involved -- ie something aimed at an individual, or any racial or gender insults.

Adam Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:23am

Juulie's right.

1. Comments to his team were obviously meant to show up officials.
2. Comments involved profanity.
3. Comments were racially charged.

Those three could earn a T. The rest of it? I'm not getting involved.

I did see our varsity girls coach get T'd for saying, "We might as well go back to Jr. High!" We thought he was talking about the team, the official thought otherwise.

Juulie Downs Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 577198)
Juulie's right.

And you're surprised about that?

Adam Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 577199)
And you're surprised about that?

No, ma'am.

zm1283 Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:29pm

I should have T'd a coach last year when he kicked a chair from the bench and it landed on the first row of bleachers behind the bench. I knew he was mad at his team and not us, but I still should have handled it looking back now.

The funny thing is that a mom from his team came down behind the bench and ripped him for it during the game.

Fritz Mon Feb 09, 2009 03:29pm

So, coach calls a TO and huddles up his players. While you are reporting this to the table, you overhear him tell his players "Listen, there isn't anything you can do about the crappy officiating here, they are against you" or something along those lines. Pretty obvious he isn't saying it directly to you, just venting to his players.

T him up or walk away and pretend you didn't hear it?

Juulie Downs Mon Feb 09, 2009 05:31pm

If it's just to the players, skip it. He's hurting them more than he's hurting you.

williebfree Mon Feb 09, 2009 05:36pm

Boys Freshman

I would report what I observed to the local AD and let him/her relay the observations to the V Team's AD. I know that all the local AD's want feedback on their coaching staff conduct (Positive or Negative). Many times the AD just can't stick around to observe all the action in every sport/activity.

zm1283 Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz (Post 577338)
So, coach calls a TO and huddles up his players. While you are reporting this to the table, you overhear him tell his players "Listen, there isn't anything you can do about the crappy officiating here, they are against you" or something along those lines. Pretty obvious he isn't saying it directly to you, just venting to his players.

I passed on giving a coach a T for almost the exact same thing last year. I reported the timeout and I hear him say something like "Don't worry about it, it's his first time on the court" to his players. I probably should have whacked him looking back on it.

JRutledge Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 (Post 577157)

No and I would not start with what you just described.

Peace

Adam Tue Feb 10, 2009 01:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz (Post 577338)

I'm likely to T this one. Talking to his players doesn't give him free reign to say what he wants.

ODJ Tue Feb 10, 2009 01:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 577248)
I should have T'd a coach last year when he kicked a chair from the bench and it landed on the first row of bleachers behind the bench. I knew he was mad at his team and not us, but I still should have handled it looking back now.

The funny thing is that a mom from his team came down behind the bench and ripped him for it during the game.

Yes on that one.