The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the advice all on "calling with a hot head". But let me give you some more background on my situation. Like I said before, I have been calling varsity high school and Jr College games for about 2 years now here in eastern N.C. Six years intramual and rec league ball. I am really making a name for myself in my high school association, but I am having problems with my rec league association. Last year, I was voted in to be the basketball scheduler for this association. I looked at it as a great opportunity to expand my knowledge, plus to give other younger officials the opportunity to reach their potential. Now, what I'm trying to implement into this association is more broader rules knowledge as well as good sharp mechanics. I have some veteran officials in my association who has been calling for 10, 15, 20 years. These guys are retirees from the local military base and use the rec ball to supplement thier incomes and get a bit of exercise. Now don't get me wrong, I really like these guys. They are a great bunch of fellows, its just that their mechanics and judgement calls are very inconsistent and sloppy. I have brought this to everyones attention at the weekly meetings in a general perspective.
I think I have gotten my point across to my younger officials who have the potential to go to the varsity level. Its just frustrating to see a veteran call a game so tight and take technical fouls so personal.
When you can control the game better with preventive officiating. I guess my question to you all is: Do I keep working with the younger guys to help develope their skills and not worry about the veterans and let them call their way. Now, I don't want to come in and just revamp the entire officiating program. I have been slowly trying to implement a few things here and there without stepping on people's toes. It seems that some things have come around a bit. Should I be a little more patient with the older guys? I know that when you have been calling for so long, its hard to break old habits. I know that within my high school association, I will be advancing more and more as I get the opportunity and eventually I will be assigned a full time varsity schedule. So give me some feedback guys and girls.

------------------
B-Lipscomb
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

the last couple years, we are starting to see a turnover to younger officials. i think as you said, work with the younger officials. have camps, clinics, etc. start giving more games to the ones that want to learn. Some vets. will feel they need to step up and some won't. We are seeing success here.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

You're experiencing the pains of having to make tough decisions. But at least you're in a position to do so.

Stick to what you beleive in. Practice what you preach. I've been in the same boat: young up & comer with a college schedule, starting to assign. I've made it clear that I want the vets to help set a good example for our less experienced officials (i'm also involved in our training). Those who have stepped up in mentoring and facilitating learning have done wonders for our association. Those who haven't, stopped getting the big games, playoffs, and will continue to work, albeit with other "dinosaurs" on low-profile games.

It's difficult, but when they've asked me why they don't get the same schedule that they're used to, I give them the honest truth.

It would be hypocritical as an assignor to continue condoning sloppy mechanics or unprofessional behavior with assignments, when you've made it a point to your entire association that you're trying to make changes for the better. Purely a business decision, nothing personal.

Good luck and remember that you're doing it for the good of the association and officiating in general;
Old Mon Feb 21, 2000, 04:42pm
In Memoriam

quote:
Originally posted by B-Lipscomb on 02-17-2000 10:16 AM
I have some veteran officials in my association who has been calling for 10, 15, 20 years. These guys are retirees from the local military base and use the rec ball to supplement thier incomes and get a bit of exercise. Now don't get me wrong, I really like these guys. They are a great bunch of fellows, its just that their mechanics and judgement calls are very inconsistent and sloppy. I have brought this to everyones attention at the weekly meetings in a general perspective.
...Its just frustrating to see a veteran call a game so tight and take technical fouls so personal.
When you can control the game better with preventive officiating. I guess my question to you all is: Do I keep working with the younger guys to help develope their skills and not worry about the veterans and let them call their way
... Should I be a little more patient with the older guys? I know that when you have been calling for so long, its hard to break old habits.

Hey B,
I have never been in the service, but I can postulate that the Vets have been in a "Black and White" arena for a long time. I would guess that there is little "grey" existing in the US Miltary.You give a Vet a rule and it is a "By Gawd Rule".

Not only should you not forget them, they will probably need even more of your attention (call it "Debriefing") than the young guys do.

Good luck with those crusty old guys.

mick

Old Mon Feb 21, 2000, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

The supervisor in one of our leagues todd everyone they must attend at least one camp in off season or face possiblly not working the league.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2000, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

I think you have to preach by example more than by instruction with the old guys, because they most of the time won't listen to you anyway and you'll just offend them, which may come around to hurt you in the long run.

Work on the young, that's where the future is!~
Old Tue Feb 22, 2000, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Here's my take -

I don't think it is an age thing. I think you should look at officials more objectively don't based on their age. In your situation, it may not be the age difference but rather the vets are military guys who are just intransigent in everything they do. Won't budge an inch...
Old Tue Feb 22, 2000, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

B_Lipscomb,
Do not put all referees associated with the military in the same barrel.
I am retired from the Air Force and was privilaged to work with many fine officials who had impeccable mechanics. In my 19 years I also attended 11 clinics conducted by International Associaiton of Approved Basketball Officials (IAABO), the premier teaching association in all of basketball. Most of these clinics were given while I was stationed overseas. Anyone who attended an IAABO clinic was given a lot of training in mechanics and rules knowledge.
Now on the other side of the coin, most military associations in the continental U.S. either conduct their own clinics or use local associations. Yes, many of the so called people who work in athletics in the Air Force have not a clue on how to officiate, yet unfortunately they are the teachers, to the detriment of the game.
I agree that not everyone associated with officiating is in it because they just enjoy the job. Many do it to supplement their income and many of these are hard to deal with them.
My approach would be to concentrate your attention on the less experience officials in your association. However, saying that, establishing standards and monitoring the performance of all officials should be accomplished by your association.
Keep plugging ahead as scheduling can be a thankless job with everyone thinking their own level of expertise is much higher than what you think.
Hopefully you have the support of other members in your group
Old Wed Feb 23, 2000, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Lipscomb - I hope I didnt offend you. I was just referring to this particular situation. My main point as about not categorizing officials ability by such factors as age. There are excellent older officials and younger officials and ex-military officials too!
Old Wed Mar 01, 2000, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

None taken Jack. I appreciate the advice.
quote:
Originally posted by jackgil on 02-23-2000 12:15 PM
Lipscomb - I hope I didnt offend you. I was just referring to this particular situation. My main point as about not categorizing officials ability by such factors as age. There are excellent older officials and younger officials and ex-military officials too!