The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Ruling? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51479-ruling.html)

elker13 Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:04pm

Ruling?

Situation took place in the 4th quarter of a JV girls game last night. I'm the lead under the basket while A1 shoots from the wing. She airballs the shot. During the shot, A2 shoves B1 in the back to gain position. My partner calls the foul.

Both teams are in bonus.

Is B1 granted a bonus try or is the ball inbounded from where the foul occurred?

JugglingReferee Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by elker13 (Post 576505)
Situation took place in the 4th quarter of a JV girls game last night. I'm the lead under the basket while A1 shoots from the wing. She airballs the shot. During the shot, A2 shoves B1 in the back to gain position. My partner calls the foul.

Both teams are in bonus.

Is B1 granted a bonus try or is the ball inbounded from where the foul occurred?

Regarding the phrase, "during the shot", do you mean that the ball had been released from A1's hands yet?

If so, then once the try was released, there is no longer any team control. So, the foul is not a team control foul. Therefore, free throws would be granted. B1 would shoot the 1+1 or 2 shots. But first, count A1's basket if it went it.

If not, then the ball is dead upon the foul occuring and A1's shot is nothing. Don't issue a T for "shooting a dead ball". :eek: In this case, it IS a team control foul, and B just gets a throw-in nearest where the foul occured.

derwil Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:31pm

Yep...Nicely done JR

elker13 Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:34pm

Yes the ball was released already.

A's coach could not understand why we shot the FT's for bonus. She thought it should have been a throw-in at the nearest spot. I explained the Team control concept and she thought since they shot the ball, they were in possession.

JugglingReferee Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:36pm

Sounds like you had the right call then, and knew what to explain to the coach. Good job.

Adam Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by elker13 (Post 576510)
Yes the ball was released already.

A's coach could not understand why we shot the FT's for bonus. She thought it should have been a throw-in at the nearest spot. I explained the Team control concept and she thought since they shot the ball, they were in possession.

Moral of the story; don't let the coach's ignorance deter you from making the right call.

Good job.

mbyron Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:15am

I had a varsity coach testing me (I think) the other night. Throw-in for A under their basket, and A2 shoves B2 before the thrower releases the ball. I call the foul and we head the other way for 1-and-1.

On our way by, the A coach asks quietly, "that's not an offensive foul?"

"No team-control during a throw-in, coach." He nodded.