The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 03:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation My partner told me this

Last night, I worked with a guy who does almost as many kids rec games a year as I do. He said that last week he had an unusual event happen just prior to a 7th grade boys game. It was a few minutes before game time and both teams were warming up. He and his partner were on the floor and saw one of the kids dunk the ball. The kid then turned towards the other team and beat his chest while yelling. Before the two officials could react, a kid on the other team, who saw the first kid, did the same!

One official went over to one team to assess the T and the other official went over to the other team to do the same. They found out later that the two kids are friends and had done this once already this season in a previous game.

Apparently, it's OK with their coaches. The "league" won't do anything because these teams are independent and contract with an organizer strictly for scheduling purposes, so there's no real governing authority.

Now that the two teams have played each other twice, they have no more games remaining in which they face each other, so it is unlikely either kid will do this again, since (my partner was told) they do this only with each other.

Anyone hear of anything even remotely like this happening elsewhere?
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

If I recall correctly from my social study classes, I think neanderthals did something similar before they went to war with an invading tribe...but I haven't heard of anything like this for the last 10,000 years or so...
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 05:15pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ref View Post
.....but I haven't heard of anything like this for the last 10,000 years or so...
Wow - you're almost as old as I am.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

you could make it really painful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
He and his partner were on the floor and saw one of the kids dunk the ball. The kid then turned towards the other team and beat his chest while yelling. Before the two officials could react, a kid on the other team, who saw the first kid, did the same!
If you chose to you could make it really painful for the teams, and the coaches -
one T for the dunk and one T for for taunting (banging on their chest at each other) on each player they are done for the day. the coaches are seated and really do not want to say anything because another T means they are done for the day too.

If that happens once I would think that it will put a stop to the foolishness for good.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Anyone hear of anything even remotely like this happening elsewhere?
I think the male Silverback Gorilla may do this in the jungles of Africa. Did either of the players look like this:

Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 12:34pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTOfficial View Post
I think the male Silverback Gorilla may do this in the jungles of Africa. Did either of the players look like this:

No - more like "Da Dieb".