The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   My partner told me this (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51454-my-partner-told-me.html)

Mark Padgett Thu Feb 05, 2009 03:44pm

My partner told me this
 
Last night, I worked with a guy who does almost as many kids rec games a year as I do. He said that last week he had an unusual event happen just prior to a 7th grade boys game. It was a few minutes before game time and both teams were warming up. He and his partner were on the floor and saw one of the kids dunk the ball. The kid then turned towards the other team and beat his chest while yelling. Before the two officials could react, a kid on the other team, who saw the first kid, did the same!

One official went over to one team to assess the T and the other official went over to the other team to do the same. They found out later that the two kids are friends and had done this once already this season in a previous game.

Apparently, it's OK with their coaches. The "league" won't do anything because these teams are independent and contract with an organizer strictly for scheduling purposes, so there's no real governing authority.

Now that the two teams have played each other twice, they have no more games remaining in which they face each other, so it is unlikely either kid will do this again, since (my partner was told) they do this only with each other.

Anyone hear of anything even remotely like this happening elsewhere?

ma_ref Thu Feb 05, 2009 04:30pm

If I recall correctly from my social study classes, I think neanderthals did something similar before they went to war with an invading tribe...but I haven't heard of anything like this for the last 10,000 years or so...

Mark Padgett Thu Feb 05, 2009 05:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ma_ref (Post 576170)
.....but I haven't heard of anything like this for the last 10,000 years or so...

Wow - you're almost as old as I am. :eek:

OHBBREF Fri Feb 06, 2009 09:03am

you could make it really painful
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 576157)
He and his partner were on the floor and saw one of the kids dunk the ball. The kid then turned towards the other team and beat his chest while yelling. Before the two officials could react, a kid on the other team, who saw the first kid, did the same!

If you chose to you could make it really painful for the teams, and the coaches -
one T for the dunk and one T for for taunting (banging on their chest at each other) on each player they are done for the day. the coaches are seated and really do not want to say anything because another T means they are done for the day too.

If that happens once I would think that it will put a stop to the foolishness for good.

VTOfficial Fri Feb 06, 2009 09:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Anyone hear of anything even remotely like this happening elsewhere?
I think the male Silverback Gorilla may do this in the jungles of Africa. Did either of the players look like this:

http://files.myopera.com/zenya/blog/...ck_gorilla.jpg

Mark Padgett Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTOfficial (Post 576286)
I think the male Silverback Gorilla may do this in the jungles of Africa. Did either of the players look like this:

http://files.myopera.com/zenya/blog/...ck_gorilla.jpg

No - more like "Da Dieb".

http://www.maxpreps.com/FanPages/Ima...5869f2b610.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1