The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Senior night? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51409-senior-night.html)

Johnny Ringo Tue Feb 03, 2009 04:23pm

Senior night?

Can a team start six players? This team has six seniors ... can they do this and get T?

My understanding is you can't start the game with six!

Raymond Tue Feb 03, 2009 04:28pm

Sure they can...but there will be no jump ball (whistled dead immediately upon leaving R's hand), the visitors will shoot 2 free throws, the visitors will take the ball out at the division line, and the AP arrow will be set the home team's direction....and the foul count will read 1-0 on the scoreboard.

Adam Tue Feb 03, 2009 04:33pm

You mean actually put 6 on the court? Or just announce all 6 as starters?

If it's the former, not legally. If it's the latter, no worries.

What are they wanting to do, or what was done?

Johnny Ringo Tue Feb 03, 2009 05:00pm

They want to start six - all on the floor.

Adam Tue Feb 03, 2009 05:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 575476)
They want to start six - all on the floor.

On the floor during the jump ball?

If the visiting team is ok with doing a 'ceremonial' jump ball, I see no problem.

#1. Otherwise, they need to mark only 5 in the book as starters or you have a pre-game T.

#2. Also, if they send 6 on the floor for the jump (or free throws if they fail to do #1 correctly), that's another T.

BillyMac Tue Feb 03, 2009 07:42pm

Touching Moment, I've Got Something In My Eye, Anybody Got A Tissue ???

Several years ago, I had a touching senior night moment. One of the captains, a senior, on the home team, had torn her ACL in the preseason, and had not played a single second during the season. The two head coaches cooked up a scheme to get her in the game, and be announced as a starter, which they shared with both me, and my partner, before the game. She was announced as a starter, and walked out for the jump ball to start the game, as one of the jumpers. She didn't jump during the toss, but just stayed there, not moving. The visitors won the tap easily, and immediately scored. During the dead ball after the made basket, the home coach called time out, and put in a substitute for the injured captain. She got her name announced as a starter, and received two standing ovations from both home, and visiting fans, got her name in the local newspaper's box score, and got to "play" in her last high school game.

Mark Padgett Tue Feb 03, 2009 08:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 575492)
Several years ago, I had a touching senior night moment. One of the captains, a senior, on the home team, had torn her ACL in the preseason, and had not played a single second during the season. The two head coaches cooked up a scheme to get her in the game, and be announced as a starter, which they shared with both me, and my partner, before the game. She was announced as a starter, and walked out for the jump ball to start the game, as one of the jumpers. She didn't jump during the toss, but just stayed there, not moving. The visitors won the tap easily, and immediately scored. During the dead ball after the made basket, the home coach called time out, and put in a substitute for the injured captain. She got her name announced as a starter, and received two standing ovations from both home, and visiting fans, got her name in the local newspaper's box score, and got to "play" in her last high school game.

Did her team lose by two points? :confused:

BillyMac Tue Feb 03, 2009 08:26pm

Overtime, Just Kidding, Didn't Mean to Scare You ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 575497)
Did her team lose by two points?

Blowout.

Forksref Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:28pm

Every time I work a game it's Senior Night.

Nevadaref Wed Feb 04, 2009 07:18am

Indiana did this a couple years ago when Knight was still the coach. They simply sent all six seniors out there and as soon as the referee tossed the ball, making it live, one of the umpires blew the whistle and called a T.

Knight said that there was no way that he could tell any one of his seniors that he wasn't starting on senior night. He gladly took the T.

JugglingReferee Wed Feb 04, 2009 08:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 575461)
Can a team start six players? This team has six seniors ... can they do this and get T?

My understanding is you can't start the game with six!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 575565)
Indiana did this a couple years ago when Knight was still the coach. They simply sent all six seniors out there and as soon as the referee tossed the ball, making it live, one of the umpires blew the whistle and called a T.

Knight said that there was no way that he could tell any one of his seniors that he wasn't starting on senior night. He gladly took the T.

Just to mention it, the same applies to Fed: the ball is first live when it leaves the Referee's hands. So if the same thing happened in a Fed game, and a coach wanted to start 6 Seniors, the U would follow the same mechanic in NV's post.

Personally, I think this is a valid way to honour Seniors. Good call by Knight.

Scrapper1 Wed Feb 04, 2009 09:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 575465)
Sure they can...but there will be no jump ball (whistled dead immediately upon leaving R's hand), the visitors will shoot 2 free throws, the visitors will take the ball out at the division line, and the AP arrow will be set the home team's direction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 575565)

The difference between the two scenarios is that the NCAA game will still have a jump ball after the technical free throws.

mbyron Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:09am

Quote:

Several years ago, I had a touching senior night moment.

A senior moment after sunset? :eek:

BillyMac Wed Feb 04, 2009 06:52pm

How's The Translation ???

Quote:

Several years ago, I had a touching senior night moment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 575627)
A senior moment after sunset?

I'm beginning to feel like I'm in Mr. Baumgartner's sophomore English class again. This is like a bad dream, perhaps a nightmare. Alright, let's see if I can translate this into mbyron:

Several years ago, I had a touching moment on senior night.

deecee Wed Feb 04, 2009 07:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 575871)
I'm beginning to feel like I'm in Mr. Baumgartner's sophomore English class again. This is like a bad dream, perhaps a nightmare. Alright, let's see if I can translate this into mbyron:

1,000 years ago, I had a touching moment on senior night.

There I fixed it for you :p