The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 12:24am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

OK - usually I'm in the state of utter confusion. But, it seemed like that anyway tonight.

This afternoon I got a call to see if I could do some games at The Hoop in Vancouver, WA. It's about 25 miles from my house, but I hadn't reffed in two whole days and I needed the exercise, so I said yes.

However, when I got there, I was assigned to do two boys varsity games in which each of the four teams was from the PIL (Portland Interscholastic League), the main league in Portland. Not only that, my partner was from the Portland association.

Whazzap with that?

I asked the assignor why we couldn't just do these games at The Hoop in Beaverton, OR, which is about 7 minutes from my house. He just shrugged.

Since I have been working girls games the past few weeks, it was refreshing to do games in which there weren't 50 jump balls, 30 fouls for slapping and 150 - 3 second violations.
Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 09:33am
Esteemed Participant

Mark - there is a very valid reason why you "Portland guys" are having to come over here to our side of the river and ref those games...most of "us" over here will no longer work for the guy who assigns and runs that league because he was, at one point, over $15,000 behind in payments to our association (he was paying the association who then paid us - so our association and it's financial branch had to make-up the difference)...anyway, there is some legal work in the process and - while the association has not said we can't work for him - most of us are so disgusted that we choose not to have anything to do with him...
Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 11:21am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Mark - there is a very valid reason why you "Portland guys" are having to come over here to our side of the river and ref those games...most of "us" over here will no longer work for the guy who assigns and runs that league because he was, at one point, over $15,000 behind in payments to our association (he was paying the association who then paid us - so our association and it's financial branch had to make-up the difference)...anyway, there is some legal work in the process and - while the association has not said we can't work for him - most of us are so disgusted that we choose not to have anything to do with him...
I think this is a different guy. If I'm correct, I worked a few games, also as a fill-in, last year for the guy you are talking about and I heard all about the financial crap. There were probably 6 guys from Vancouver there last night in addition to us two Portland guys.

Why don't you email me and we can discuss it. If it is a new guy, maybe you would go back. He told me there was no assigning fee and I did not have to join your association, unlike what happened last year, when I noticed association dues were taken out of my first check without my knowledge or consent. So, I guess, technically we were in the same association for a while
Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 12:02pm
Esteemed Participant

OK - I e-mailed you with the info I have...let me know if it's the same guy!! And, are you better for having been in our Association??
Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 04:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
OK - I e-mailed you with the info I have...let me know if it's the same guy!! And, are you better for having been in our Association??
By now, you have my email response. Thanks for the info. As to being better for having been in your Association...well, I will say I now know how to compute sales tax at the McDonald's near the Vancouver Hoop.
Old Wed Jun 12, 2002, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

how to collect the money?

I was just wonderting how you or your assignor
collects from those directors who seem to lag
with their payments.
There are some notorious ones in San Diego that
have a history of late payment.
I won't work for them, but new ones pop up occasionally.
My feelings; once burnt, are to either
get cash on the court or get paid by check in advance.
Appreciate your opinions.
Barry Alman
[email protected]
http://www.sdboss.com
Old Wed Jun 12, 2002, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: how to collect the money?

Quote:
Originally posted by bossref
My feelings; once burnt, are to either
get cash on the court or get paid by check in advance.
About 4 years ago, the treasurer for one of local youth leagues spent all the money in the league's bank account on personal items: a boat, a vacation, etc. At the end of the season, there was no money to reimburse the officials. So now, the officials get paid cash before the game, or they go home. Even a check in advance is not necessarily good. There might not be money to cover it in the account.

Chuck