The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Odd Situation on FTs in youth game....

My son has just started officiating basketball. I have worked with him several times this year. In one of the leagues (a 4th and 5th grade league), the FT line is at 12 feet. They still move the players up above the blocks on the lane. The result is two defensive players BEHIND the FT shooter. Talk about a tough box out assignment.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
My son has just started officiating basketball. I have worked with him several times this year. In one of the leagues (a 4th and 5th grade league), the FT line is at 12 feet. They still move the players up above the blocks on the lane. The result is two defensive players BEHIND the FT shooter. Talk about a tough box out assignment.
We have that in a local league but by special rule of the league, we move everyone down a spot so that the situation is rectified!
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I do (but very rarely) officiate a league like this. It's odd looking and evening more awkward when there is contact between the thrower and one of the defenders in the last lane space. On a long rebound the defender almost always has to reach over the thrower ("over the back" as the crowd calls it) to get the rebound.

-Josh
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 02:23pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
We have that in a local league but by special rule of the league, we move everyone down a spot so that the situation is rectified!
This is what we do for our 10U league(s) too.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
I suggested this to the commissioner. He said, "No one boxes out anyway, so we are going to leave it alone for this year."
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 09:16am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
I suggested this to the commissioner. He said, "No one boxes out anyway, so we are going to leave it alone for this year."
To which I would have responded by asking, "and when was your last psychiatric evaluation?"