The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Throw in (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51363-throw.html)

CoachP Mon Feb 02, 2009 06:37am

Throw in

Friday night, we come out after first horn of a full time out. Second horn sounds and visitors are still in their huddle. Official places ball on floor (spot throw in) and starts count. Visitors scramble back to the floor, B1 crosses end line and places both hands on the ball at the same time B2 yells, "I've got it". Players B1 and B2 switch and Throw In is completed within 5 seconds. Was there a violation? What if B1 had actually picked up the ball?

mbyron Mon Feb 02, 2009 08:22am

No violation.

Nevadaref Mon Feb 02, 2009 09:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 574712)
Friday night, we come out after first horn of a full time out. Second horn sounds and visitors are still in their huddle. Official places ball on floor (spot throw in) and starts count. Visitors scramble back to the floor, B1 crosses end line and places both hands on the ball at the same time B2 yells, "I've got it". Players B1 and B2 switch and Throw In is completed within 5 seconds. Was there a violation? What if B1 had actually picked up the ball?

9.2.9 SITUATION: Following a violation, the official has properly signaled and
awarded a throw-in to Team A at a designated spot. No Team A player comes to
the spot even though the official has allowed ample time for them to respond. The
official then places the ball on the floor and begins the five-second count. (a) Both
A1 and A2 step out of bounds and A1 picks up the ball; or (b) both A1 and A2
step out of bounds and A1 picks up the ball and hands it to A2. RULING: In (a),
A2 must immediately return inbounds. In (b), it is a throw-in violation when A1
hands the ball to A2. (9-2-12)

jdmara Mon Feb 02, 2009 09:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 574712)

Coach-

If this is a designated spot throw in (not after a made basket)...IMO, the official would have to determine if B1 has possession of the ball when she put two hands on it. If they had possession of the ball, (technically) I believe this could be considered a violation for not passing the ball directly in bounds.

My $0.02

-Josh

CoachP Mon Feb 02, 2009 09:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 574744)
9.2.9 SITUATION: Following a violation, the official has properly signaled and
awarded a throw-in to Team A at a designated spot. No Team A player comes to
the spot even though the official has allowed ample time for them to respond. The
official then places the ball on the floor and begins the five-second count. (a) Both
A1 and A2 step out of bounds and A1 picks up the ball; or (b) both A1 and A2
step out of bounds and A1 picks up the ball and hands it to A2. RULING: In (a),
A2 must immediately return inbounds. In (b), it is a throw-in violation when A1
hands the ball to A2. (9-2-12)

Thanks Nevada, I saw that case play, but it did not apply ....totally.
A1 did not pick up the ball, that I could see, but did place both hands on it.
A1 and A2 were never outside the endline at the same time. A1 was back in play before A2 got OOB.

(a) refers to both being OOB at the same time. What if in my game A1 had actually picked up the ball, set it back down, came back in bounds, A2 goes OOB and completes the throw in within 5 seconds?

Nevadaref Mon Feb 02, 2009 09:49am

It's not exact, but it think that it is close enough for one to apply the principles to your situation.

Basically, it tells us that the thrower cannot switch. We also know that no teammate of the thrower may be out-of-bounds during a designated-spot throw-in.

That case play tells us that if two players step OOB simultaneously in an attempt to make a throw-in that one of them must immediately return inbounds and that they can't hand the ball from one to the other.

In your case, the first player who stepped OOB would either be the thrower or would have committed a throw-in violation for being OOB during a designated-spot throw-in once it became clear that he was not the thrower. If the first player is considered to be the thrower, then the second player to step OOB commits the violation. Either way, it's a violation when that second player steps OOB following the first one.

Nevadaref Mon Feb 02, 2009 09:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 574765)
What if in my game A1 had actually picked up the ball, set it back down, came back in bounds, A2 goes OOB and completes the throw in within 5 seconds?

That's a clear violation of 9-2-9.

mbyron Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 574727)
No violation.

Unless you take 9-2-9 into account. :o:o