The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What I Learned At Camp (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/5132-what-i-learned-camp.html)

rainmaker Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:04am

Okay time for the annual introspective wallow...

1. How to Practice Your Toss: Find a hoop with no net, stand under it, and throw the ball up, until it goes up, through and back down into your waiting hands. The only thing that should be different in your games is that you will NEVER catch the ball.

2. It really is possible to do more than you ever thought. I've always settled for good enough, until I started reffing. I don't think there's anything wrong with good enough, but if you want more than that badly enough it's available, somehow.

3. You don't have to like someone to admire their work. I won't go into details, except to say that there was one guy at camp who really surprised me, pleasantly. I still don't like him, though.

4. Age-ism is going to be an issue for me. I'm going to have to work twice as hard as a younger woman would to get very far out of high school. But being female, and older is only two strikes against me, not three, so I'm not "out" yet!!

5. I'm very, very fortunate to live in the Portland area where there is so much good training and good basketball (excluding the Jailblazers).

6. You can teach an old dog new tricks!!

Added Later:

And be sure to see Stripes thread called "Camp Notes." I was looking for his thread, while Stripes was working on it, and so I couldn't find it, so just consider my thread here just a continuation of his.

[Edited by rainmaker on Jun 10th, 2002 at 02:20 PM]

Dan_ref Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:08am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker

2. It really is possible to do more than you ever thought. I've always settled for good enough, until I started reffing. I don't think there's anything wrong with good enough, but if you want more than that badly enough it's available, somehow.

I somehow doubt that this is news to you. ;)

Quote:

Age is a state of mind...now, where did I put those carkeys...anybody seen my reading glasses??!!

stripes Mon Jun 10, 2002 01:02pm

Quote:

3. You don't have to like someone to admire their work. I won't go into details, except to say that there was one guy at camp who really surprised me, pleasantly. I still don't like him, though.

This is true. To really progress, we must be willing to learn from anyone--and we can learn from anyone.

Quote:

4. Age-ism is going to be an issue for me. I'm going to have to work twice as hard as a younger woman would to get very far out of high school. But being female, and older is only two strikes against me, not three, so I'm not "out" yet!!
Age may work against you, but being female should not. Women have lots of opportunities that males do not. Simply put, there are not enough high quality female officials. Every quality female official I know has had opportunities to advance much faster than quality male officials. This isn't good or bad, but it is the way things happen now.

Quote:

Thank goodness!!!

[Edited by stripes on Jun 10th, 2002 at 01:06 PM]

JRutledge Mon Jun 10, 2002 02:31pm

Where is that opportunity?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stripes
Quote:

Age may work against you, but being female should not. Women have lots of opportunities that males do not. Simply put, there are not enough high quality female officials. Every quality female official I know has had opportunities to advance much faster than quality male officials. This isn't good or bad, but it is the way things happen now.
Doesn't the opportunity have more to do with Women's Basketball. I was at a place where a D1 assignor was giving a speech and told the only women official in the room, "You might be a good official, but I would never hire you." And he called her out without her even showing any interest in doing his conference.

I see that opportunity for Women in Women's basketball, not necessarily Men's Basketball. We have had some first this year with Women breaking into the Men's Tournament, but they still have a long way to go at this point in that area.

Peace

stripes Mon Jun 10, 2002 03:30pm

Re: Where is that opportunity?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

Doesn't the opportunity have more to do with Women's Basketball. I was at a place where a D1 assignor was giving a speech and told the only women official in the room, "You might be a good official, but I would never hire you." And he called her out without her even showing any interest in doing his conference.

I see that opportunity for Women in Women's basketball, not necessarily Men's Basketball. We have had some first this year with Women breaking into the Men's Tournament, but they still have a long way to go at this point in that area.

Peace

Absolutely. I thought it would be understood that the great opportunities that exist for females is primarily in women's basketball. That is not to say that women cannot or should not work men's basketball, but the biggest opportunities are not there.

JRutledge Mon Jun 10, 2002 05:23pm

You have been here long enough.

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge

Absolutely. I thought it would be understood that the great opportunities that exist for females is primarily in women's basketball. That is not to say that women cannot or should not work men's basketball, but the biggest opportunities are not there.
Now you should know by now that on this board that you have to be very specific or you will get stoned with very heavy rocks. :)

Peace

rainmaker Tue Jun 11, 2002 02:45am

Re: Where is that opportunity?

Quote:

And he called her out without her even showing any interest in doing his conference.

Rut -- What does this mean?! I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

mick Tue Jun 11, 2002 06:38am

Re: Re: Where is that opportunity?

Quote:

Quote:

And he called her out without her even showing any interest in doing his conference.

Rut -- What does this mean?! I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

I think the assignor, for some reason, singled her out as someone he wouldn't hire, eventhough she had no interest in working that assignor's conference at that time.
mick

Mark Padgett Tue Jun 11, 2002 11:23am

Juulie - did they teach you the number one important tip at that camp? It's: tuck your whistle in your shirt when you go to take a leak.

Oh wait. Doesn't apply to you. ;)

JRutledge Tue Jun 11, 2002 02:13pm

YEAH!!!!

Quote:

Quote:

What Mick said!!! :D

Peace

mick Tue Jun 11, 2002 05:10pm

Yuh!!!!

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What Mick said!!! :D

Peace

That's what I figgered, Rut.
Since you know I have family in Illinois, I have attempted to learn Illinanian.
mick

Mark Padgett Tue Jun 11, 2002 07:28pm

Re: Yuh!!!!

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
mick

Since I am originally from Illinois, let me get you started.

Roof is pronounced ruf

Creek is pronounced crik

A soda has ice cream, seltzer water and flavored syrup. The stuff that is carbonated and comes in cans and bottles is called pop.

If you order a pizza with pineapple in Chicago, Guido comes out from behind the counter and breaks your legs.

Another term for vomit is "surf music".

There was only one "Mayor Daley". His son is referred to as "The Kid."

[Edited by Mark Padgett on Jun 12th, 2002 at 06:43 AM]

mick Tue Jun 11, 2002 07:50pm

Re: Re: Yuh!!!!

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

Originally posted by mick
mick

Since I am originally from Illinois, let me get you started.

Roof is pronounced ruf

Creek is pronounced crik

A soda has ice cream and flavored syrup. The stuff that is carbonated and comes in cans and bottles is called pop.

If you order a pizza with pineapple in Chicago, Guido comes out from behind the counter and breaks your legs.

Another term for vomit is "surf music".

There was only one "Mayor Daley". His son is referred to as "The Kid."

Thanks, Mark!
With my family I can easily work all that information into one sentence. ;)
mick