The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Interesting Question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51319-interesting-question.html)

elker13 Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:29pm

Interesting Question

I'm a long time reader and first time poster. And I was looking for some input in a situation that was brought to me attention recently.

Situation: A1 drives to the basket and is fouled by B1 in the act of shooting. The basket goes in.... As the calling official do you signal the basket is good with the same arm as calling the foul or do you signal with the free arm?

I've had many officials say you can do either, some say it has to be the free arm. I looked in the book briefly and found nothing.

Just looking for some input. Thanks for the interesting topics.

shishstripes Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:57pm

I personally use my same arm that I used to stop play (with fist).

JugglingReferee Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shishstripes (Post 574148)
I personally use my same arm that I used to stop play (with fist).

Me too. In fact, I have for the past few years, used the NBA count-it signal.

Freddy Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:13pm

Ditto

I agree with Shishmarefref.

"When in Nome, do as the Nomans do." :D

jevaque Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:29pm

Whats the NBA signal??

Mark Padgett Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:31pm

As long as you don't use your middle leg, you're OK.

zm1283 Sat Jan 31, 2009 03:35am

Doesn't make any difference. I usually use my off hand that I don't call the foul with.

Nevadaref Sat Jan 31, 2009 05:04am

I always use the same hand.

agr8zebra Sat Jan 31, 2009 07:01pm

Not sure it makes in difference, The only thing you need to do is make sure you do it during your table mechanics and that you count the basket prior to reporting the foul.

I personally sometimes use my left hand/arm to signal the foul and the right to acknowledge the basket. I think when I do right hand for foul I go right for the basket acknowledgment.

mutantducky Sat Jan 31, 2009 08:04pm

I've been using the same hand but I've seen some refs on tv do the other way. Majority seems same hand. I think I might try both but it is a hard habit to break.

BktBallRef Sat Jan 31, 2009 08:29pm

I prefer the opposite hand.

mick Sat Jan 31, 2009 08:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 574315)
I've been using the same hand but I've seen some refs on tv do the other way. Majority seems same hand. I think I might try both but it is a hard habit to break.

I think I may try both also, cuz BktBallRef does.

And when I use only use one hand, my fist goes up, fist hammers down and fist goes back up. If I do that, then I never make the proper count it signal until l report. :cool:

mick Sat Jan 31, 2009 08:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by elker13 (Post 574144)
I'm a long time reader and first time poster. And I was looking for some input in a situation that was brought to me attention recently.

Situation: A1 drives to the basket and is fouled by B1 in the act of shooting. The basket goes in.... As the calling official do you signal the basket is good with the same arm as calling the foul or do you signal with the free arm?

I've had many officials say you can do either, some say it has to be the free arm. I looked in the book briefly and found nothing.

Just looking for some input. Thanks for the interesting topics.

Welcome, elker13, you Packer lookin' Cheeshead. :)

elker13 Sat Jan 31, 2009 09:17pm

Thanks for the responses. It is interesting hearing what everyone does.

I was told by an official who is in a local association that calling the foul and chopping with the opposite is the correct mechanic. And those who don't are crappy officials.

Then talking to non association members, they say either mechanic is fine.

Adam Sat Jan 31, 2009 09:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by elker13 (Post 574325)
Thanks for the responses. It is interesting hearing what everyone does.

I was told by an official who is in a local association that calling the foul and chopping with the opposite is the correct mechanic. And those who don't are crappy officials.

Then talking to non association members, they say either mechanic is fine.

You'd be amazed at how many officials do things differently. I saw a varsity official criticize one of my JV partners for doing something, saying it went out 20 years ago. Then, the next night, I saw equally thought-of varsity officials doing exactly what he'd been criticized for doing.

I tend to chop with the same hand, but may switch so I can fit in here in Rome.