The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   KU/Nebraska (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51276-ku-nebraska.html)

muxbule Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:30am

KU/Nebraska

For Mark Padgett: Halfway through the second half of this game a foul was called on Nebraska and the announcer actually called it "a reach around" foul. I was only halfway watching so I had to rewind to see if that actually happened in the middle of Bob Devaney court. I was also curious who on KU was the recipient of this reach around.:D

mutantducky Thu Jan 29, 2009 03:25am

I turned on that game at the very end and Nebraska was hopping mad about the foul on the clean block. The Nebraska coach looked like he was going to blow a gasket. The color guy was saying something along the lines of that was a bad call. But after a few replays you could see that while the block was clean there was a foul just before when the non-shot blocking defender lost his balance. And then the announcers said good call.

a little digression---I've heard that saying blow a gasket but I didn't know what a gasket was.
wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasket
A gasket is a mechanical seal that fills the space between two objects, generally to prevent leakage between the two objects while under compression. ...

grunewar Thu Jan 29, 2009 05:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 573520)
a little digression---I've heard that saying blow a gasket but I didn't know what a gasket was.

Obviosuly, you've never owned a Ford! :D (sarcasm)

Adam Thu Jan 29, 2009 09:21am

I was watching that game while we were having dinner last night, but without the sound (generally the best way to watch, IMO). There was a held ball/foul situation, though, that I didn't see how it got handled. After the whistle, the NE player kept going and things got a bit heated. I would have called a T, but the officials either didn't call one or they called a double T (not necessarily a bad option, but not the route I would have taken.)

Anyone else see this?

muxbule Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:52am

I did see it and would have t'd the Nebraska guard for instigating that whole deal. I'm certain, based on how animated Self was, that he agrees. It happened right in front of their bench. Great job by KU/ NE teammates to get in and separate the two before it escalated.
The NE guard that was involved wasn't even part of the original held ball. He came in and just started pulling the ball away from the KU player. Had they squared off it would have been interesting because it was 6'9" Mario Little against a barely 6' NE guard.

Adam Fri Jan 30, 2009 09:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by muxbule (Post 573844)
I did see it and would have t'd the Nebraska guard for instigating that whole deal. I'm certain, based on how animated Self was, that he agrees. It happened right in front of their bench. Great job by KU/ NE teammates to get in and separate the two before it escalated.
The NE guard that was involved wasn't even part of the original held ball. He came in and just started pulling the ball away from the KU player. Had they squared off it would have been interesting because it was 6'9" Mario Little against a barely 6' NE guard.

That was how I saw it, too. I'm assuming no T was called.

Huskerblue Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:41am

There were no T's called, although I definitely felt one was warranted on Cookie Miller of Nebraska. I think they went to the TV replay to see if there were any punches thrown or any other activity that warranted a T/ejection. They simply went to the possession arrow as a result of the original held ball call.

Adam Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:54am

I think (could be wrong) they had to have called a T on the spot. The only thing they can come out of the video with is a flagrant. This wasn't flagrant, however.

Matt S. Fri Jan 30, 2009 02:41pm

I was there...

I was sitting on the baseline with a camera on my shoulder for that one... Cookie is a feisty player, but David Hall told me they were just looking for closed fists when they went to the monitor...

Hard fought game on both ends...Heimerman apparently made the right call (his a$$ was in my way on that last foul!!!):D