The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   How many states have shot clocks (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51214-how-many-states-have-shot-clocks.html)

fiasco Mon Jan 26, 2009 02:58pm

How many states have shot clocks

For high school, that is.

And which ones are they?

JRutledge Mon Jan 26, 2009 03:02pm

Not very many. ;)

Peace

fiasco Mon Jan 26, 2009 03:11pm

According to a newspaper article I found, they are:

California
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
Maryland
New York
Washington
North Dakota
South Dakota (just started this year)

Nevadaref Mon Jan 26, 2009 03:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 572565)
For high school, that is.

And which ones are they?

At last count the number was seven.

CA (both), WA (girls), MD (girls), ND (Class A), MA, NY (Long Island), VA (private school girls league in Northern VA), and a prep school league in New England.

http://forum.officiating.com/showthread.php?t=6565

BillyMac Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:58pm

The Land Of Steady Habits ...

Boys and girls varsity prep schools here in Connecticut. No shot clock for subvarsity games.

zm1283 Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:08pm

Missouri doesn't have the shot clock, but I've noticed that two new gyms this year have shot clocks installed above their backboards. I guess some of the newer baskets have shot clocks already attached to them? One of them had the shot clocks directly above the rim, but it stuck out an inch or two in front of the backboard. We had two shots hit one of the shot clocks.

KJUmp Tue Jan 27, 2009 05:47am

Ri

RI
Boys :35sec. shot clock
Girls :30sec. shot clock/no :10 sec. count

bob jenkins Tue Jan 27, 2009 08:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 572746)
One of them had the shot clocks directly above the rim, but it stuck out an inch or two in front of the backboard.

Really? That's illegal in NCAA (the shot clock must be recessed), so I'm surprised that an installation would allow the clock to be installed in front of the plane of the backboard.

Man In Blue Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:17am

The hard thing about adding the shot clock to your state is that you forfit your seat on the Fed rules committee.

bball_lurker Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:41am

I didn't realize so few states had a shot clock. Being in a state (WA) that has one, for girls anyway.
I like a shot clock. It rewards good defense, and seems to prevent teams from "slowing it down" too much.
Does anyone know the rational for not having a shot clock?

JugglingReferee Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bball_lurker (Post 572874)
I didn't realize so few states had a shot clock. Being in a state (WA) that has one, for girls anyway.
I like a shot clock. It rewards good defense, and seems to prevent teams from "slowing it down" too much.

States that had coaches/athletes that didn't care to 'slow it down'? ;)

jdw3018 Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bball_lurker (Post 572874)

1. Cost. Installing shot clocks in every gym in a state is not a cheap expense, especially when many schools are already strapped for cash.

2. No reason to do so. IMO, the shot clock is simply a tool designed to make the game more 'fan friendly,' but has little rationale outside that. Why should a team not be able to run an offense that works the clock?

TravelinMan Tue Jan 27, 2009 01:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 572579)
At last count the number was seven.

CA (both), WA (girls), MD (girls), ND (Class A), MA, NY (Long Island), VA (private school girls league in Northern VA), and a prep school league in New England.

http://forum.officiating.com/showthread.php?t=6565

It is more than just Long Island in New York. I called in the Albany area with shot clock. I know for a fact that girls use it across the entire state (started in 07-08 season for girls).

Berkut Tue Jan 27, 2009 08:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TravelinMan (Post 572935)
It is more than just Long Island in New York. I called in the Albany area with shot clock. I know for a fact that girls use it across the entire state (started in 07-08 season for girls).

I am pretty sure NY (Boys) uses a shot clock everywhere - we certainly do in upstate.

Lotto Tue Jan 27, 2009 09:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TravelinMan (Post 572935)

In NY, the girls play under NCAAW rules (with some modifications) and have had a 30 second shot clock for at least 10 years. I don't do boys (who use Fed rules with some modifications), but I believe they do use a 35 second shot clock.