The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
The fact that both fouls occurred simultaneously wasn't the difference between calling a multiple foul or a false multiple foul in this particular situation. A multiple foul occurs when two or more teammates commit personal fouls at approximately the same time. "Approximately the same time" equates to "simultaneously", rules-wise. The definition of a false multiple foul says that "at least one of the attributes of a multiple foul is missing." The attribute that is missing in this sitch is that the fouls were committed against teammates, not the same opponent.

If neither official will back down on their foul call, you have no choice but to penalize both fouls. There is no rules provision that I know of that will allow us to do anything other than that. And penalizing the fouls under a "false multiple foul" is defendable rules-wise imho.
Don't worry, JR. I agree with all of that. I just don't care for the wording used in the rule. However, by extrapolation and approximation, it is clearly the best that can be done when it cannot be determined that one foul took place prior to the other. I'm also unsatisfied that there is no clear direction for the penalty enforcement of such a situation.