The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 01:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up This is what rec is all about

Yesterday, I had a bunch of kids rec games. In one of them, a 5/6 grade girls game, one of the players is a neighbor of mine. Sometimes in the mornings, she'll be walking to the school bus stop when I'm walking my dog so we walk together and talk about school and basketball. Plus - she loves my dog and sometimes has a treat in her bag for him. Anyway, early in the game, there's an OOB play and I am administering and she is the inbounder. I hold the ball out to her and when she reaches for it, I pull it away. I would then hold it out, she would again reach for it and I would again pull it away. I did this about 3 times. She then looked at me, smiled and said, "That's funny, Mark". I looked over at her dad who was sitting just a few feet away and he was cracking up.

BTW - she's an excellent point guard but her team got beat, 18-8 (not that unusual a score in this league at that level). She had four points. After the game, I told her she played really well and that she should remember she scored half her team's points! She smiled and said she would do exactly that.

Later on in the day, I was walking my dog and she was getting out of her dad's car after shopping. She came over to pet my dog and thanked me for what I told her after the game. She said it made her feel much better.

This is the kind of stuff I try to think about when some coach or spectator is yelling abuse.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 02:06pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Yesterday, I had a bunch of kids rec games. In one of them, a 5/6 grade girls game, one of the players is a neighbor of mine. Sometimes in the mornings, she'll be walking to the school bus stop when I'm walking my dog so we walk together and talk about school and basketball. Plus - she loves my dog and sometimes has a treat in her bag for him. Anyway, early in the game, there's an OOB play and I am administering and she is the inbounder. I hold the ball out to her and when she reaches for it, I pull it away. I would then hold it out, she would again reach for it and I would again pull it away. I did this about 3 times. She then looked at me, smiled and said, "That's funny, Mark". I looked over at her dad who was sitting just a few feet away and he was cracking up.

BTW - she's an excellent point guard but her team got beat, 18-8 (not that unusual a score in this league at that level). She had four points. After the game, I told her she played really well and that she should remember she scored half her team's points! She smiled and said she would do exactly that.

Later on in the day, I was walking my dog and she was getting out of her dad's car after shopping. She came over to pet my dog and thanked me for what I told her after the game. She said it made her feel much better.

This is the kind of stuff I try to think about when some coach or spectator is yelling abuse.
Next time, she'll be ready. She will have a biscuit tucked away to hand you in exchange for the ball.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Bravo

Mark,

As a dad, the officials I admire the most are the ones that do interact with the players. My daughter is in 5th grade AAU, and I like the officials that understand this is a game, and look like they enjoy what they do.

Last year, we had a new player that was really new to basketball. In our first game, she got fouled and went to the line to shoot two. We could all tell that she was nervous, and when the ref handed her the ball, we could see that she was literally shaking. He walked over next to her and asked for the ball, and it looked like he was examining the ball, but we could see that he was chatting with her. She finally smiled, he handed the ball back, and she sank 1/2. No complaint from the opposing bench.

At this age, I also appreciate when the officials explain to the girls why the foul was called. Even with a good coach, there's still a lot to learn, and getting the feedback during the game can be very helpful
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Are you sure this happened to you? Sounds like a after school special to me.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Mark, great story. I know exactly what you are saying. When you know a player and get to know their personality it gives you a chance to have fun and makes the game enjoyable for them and yourself. I tend to do that sometimes at games. I actually did it once at a Freshmen level game here. Home team calls a timeout and sets up a play. Teams come out and home team player gets ready to inbounds the ball and turns to me and says "I don't know the play."

I quickly turn to him and say "I hope it is not the Three little pigs play from Little Giants." Well lets just say he heard me and the defensive player heard me and both started laughing a little bit about it .

Nice little icebreaker for players to have every once and a while it shows that we want to have fun out there to with them.