The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 06, 2002, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rburn22281
*NCAA and NFHS

HEres the question, where is the location of the officials when a technical foul shot is administered? I know the person calling the Technical is the one whom administers it. Where are the othe officials located in 2 and 3 Man mechanics?
Old Thu Jun 06, 2002, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by rburn22281
*NCAA and NFHS

HEres the question, where is the location of the officials when a technical foul shot is administered? I know the person calling the Technical is the one whom administers it. Where are the othe officials located in 2 and 3 Man mechanics?

Set up in regular free throw positions. In a 2 person game, realize that the L will be the official observing the 9 players not involved in the free throw. The T still has the 10 count (yeah, right ) and responsibility for the shooter going over the line too soon.

In a 3 person game, the T can handle the nonshooters.
Old Thu Jun 06, 2002, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking of shooting technicals...

... how did the practice of requiring the players to behind the center court line begin? I say practice, because I can not find any rule to require it.

Just a Coach
Old Thu Jun 06, 2002, 03:43pm
Esteemed Participant

They don't have to be behind the center-court line...they simply cannot occupy the lane spaces...they must be behind the three point line and the free throw line extended...yet every time a T is called, the players automatically (for the most part) go stand at half-court...I can remember in my playing days (late 70's) that our coach always made us huddle with him while T shots were being taken - usually to chew me out for getting another one!!
Old Thu Jun 06, 2002, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
[QUOTE

In a 2 person game, realize that the L will be the official observing the 9 players not involved in the free throw. The T still has the 10 count (yeah, right ) and responsibility for the shooter going over the line too soon.

Not so sure I agree with handling it this way. In 2 man the
T should watch the 9 non-shooters. If it looks like things
might escalate then the T needs to actively watch the other
9, like keep them apart & stand nearby. The L will handle
everything concerning the shooter.
Old Thu Jun 06, 2002, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

While Dan_ref's way may not be the "best" way to handle it, it is essentially the book way. The trail is to take the same position on T's as any other FT and has the same responsibilities.

I do agree that if there are potential problems, it is better off for the T to leave the FTs to the L and to cover the 9 players.

Also, contrary to what was said above, the person calling the T is not necessarily the one who administers it (if you go by the book). It is a foul like any other and the officials are to switch. Either official may end up in either position.

In practice, it may work better to have the person who called the T NOT administer it (now that the lead administers all FTs). That way, it gets the calling official at a distance fro m the bench and will keep them there until at least the next whistle. If the calling official administers the FT (as lead), they will immediately be running by the benches on the next trip down the floor.
Of course, this only matters if the coach is involved or is not agreeable with the situation.
Old Thu Jun 06, 2002, 07:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb I might be the new T.

Good point Camron.

I will sometimes tell the coach myself what happen, so depending on the situation if I call a T on a player, I might want to be the T and talk to the coach if he or she does not understand what happen. Now that might not be a hundred percent by the book, but it is something that I picked up from more experienced officials. But I have not had to give that many Ts in the last 5 or 6 years, so I do not have things set in my mind of what to always do all the time.

Peace
Old Fri Jun 07, 2002, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Trail Should Be with the Nine Players

When we have to shoot T's and I'm trail, I intentionally get right in the middle of the nine players. Generally you get four on one side of the floor and five on the other, so being in the middle helps keep them separated. Plus, it's a great chance to calm things down. It's a great opportunity to use your people skills with the players--especially with the player who got the T in the first place.