The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Blood, no extra uniform (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51132-blood-no-extra-uniform.html)

Raymond Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:15pm

Blood, no extra uniform

Don't have rules books handy. Give me what you got for Fed and NCAA.

Visiting team's star player cuts his head open and blood saturates his jersey. Team has not brought any extra jerseys. V HC wants star player to swap out jerseys with a player on the bench who is in the book but will not play.

Do you allow it? Is it penalized with a 'T'. Instinctively I would let the swap happen without penalty. But I don't if that is or isn't supported by rule.

slow whistle Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 571464)
Don't have rules books handy. Give me what you got for Fed and NCAA.

Visiting team's star player cuts his head open and blood saturates his jersey. Team has not brought any extra jerseys. V HC wants star player to swap out jerseys with a player on the bench who is in the book but will not play.

Do you allow it? Is it penalized with a 'T'. Instinctively I would let the swap happen without penalty. But I don't if that is or isn't supported by rule.

Don't have book with me, but this is acceptable and not penalized for Fed...someone will come along with the rule...

shishstripes Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:26pm

I don't have a case book in front of me, but I believe this is a legal action. But they do need to switch jerseys in the locker room otherwise technical for taking jersey off within viewable area of court.

NEohioref Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:35pm

Rule 3 section 2 states:at least 10 mins before the scheduled starting time,each team shall supply the scorer with the name and number of each team member and starters.

Section C of the rule reads:requiring the scorer to change a team members or players number in the scorebook.

So as I read it yes they can do it but will cost them a T.

So what do I win?:D

APG Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:35pm

Allow the change without penalizing with a T.

Casebook play 3.3.7 Situation A covers this

JRutledge Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEohioref (Post 571472)
So as I read it yes they can do it but will cost them a T.

So what do I win?:D

Nothing because you missed the other rules involved. :D

Peace

NEohioref Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:01am

I was waiting for that ! I did win ! I knew that was coming! So I guess your still awake. :D

Nevadaref Fri Jan 23, 2009 03:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 571474)
Allow the change without penalizing with a T.

Casebook play 3.3.7 Situation A covers this

BLEEDING PLAYER
3.3.7 SITUATION A: B1 is directed to leave the game because of excessive
blood on his/her uniform shirt. Team B’s manager has failed to pack any extra
shirts. (a) The coach asks one of the substitutes to give his/her shirt to B1; or (b)
Team A is able to find a shirt which B1 can wear even though it is not exactly the
same color or style of the Team B shirts. The shirt will however, clearly identify
B1 as a member of Team B and will not be confusing to either team or the officials.
RULING: Acceptable procedure in both (a) and (b). In both situations the
scorer will make necessary changes in the scorebook without penalty.
COMMENT: The spirit and intent of the rule is to do everything possible to allow
the player to use a different shirt and return without penalty. However, identical
numbers shall not be allowed on the same team.

Raymond Fri Jan 23, 2009 09:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 571519)
BLEEDING PLAYER
3.3.7 SITUATION A: B1 is directed to leave the game because of excessive
blood on his/her uniform shirt. Team B’s manager has failed to pack any extra
shirts. (a) The coach asks one of the substitutes to give his/her shirt to B1; or (b) Team A is able to find a shirt which B1 can wear even though it is not exactly the same color or style of the Team B shirts. The shirt will however, clearly identify B1 as a member of Team B and will not be confusing to either team or the officials.
RULING: Acceptable procedure in both (a) and (b). In both situations the
scorer will make necessary changes in the scorebook without penalty.
COMMENT: The spirit and intent of the rule is to do everything possible to allow the player to use a different shirt and return without penalty. However, identical numbers shall not be allowed on the same team.

Thanks for the FED reference. I just searched the NCAA rules and cases books and couldn't find a similar ruling. The game in question was a lower division NCAA game and from what I was told the crew chief told the HC that if he used a jersey from a player in the book that it would be a 'T'. Eventually they found a jersey from a player who didn't dress out and that change was made w/o penalty.

DonInKansas Fri Jan 23, 2009 09:54am

It doesn't even have to be the star player making the swap either. It could be Jim the Scrub.

Raymond Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonInKansas (Post 571569)
It doesn't even have to be the star player making the swap either. It could be Jim the Scrub.

True, but I don't think a HC would eat a 'T' for Jim the Scrub.