The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Held Ball Signal (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51088-held-ball-signal.html)

Scratch85 Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:05am

Held Ball Signal

In my pregames with partners, I always ask how they signal a held ball. Whether they come up with the thumbs-up signal or come up with a hand, followed by the thumbs-up signal. I ask this to prepare for double whistle situations.

In conversation with last nights partner, he questioned which was proper. I think the held ball signal is used to stop the clock and indicate the call. I prefer the raised hand first, but I do not believe this is the NFHS mechanic.

What do you normally use when calling a held ball? Is it an incorrect mechanic to stop the clock with the hand before signalling the held ball?

Raymond Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:10am

I use the 'held ball' mechanic, no raised hand. If crew has a double whistle then we come together and sort things out...quickly.

mbyron Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 570801)
What do you normally use when calling a held ball? Is it an incorrect mechanic to stop the clock with the hand before signalling the held ball?

1. The held ball signal.
2. Yes.

JugglingReferee Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:18am

IIRC, the Fed signal chart shows three signals that stop the clock: fist, open palm, and thumbs.

M&M Guy Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 570801)
In my pregames with partners, I always ask how they signal a held ball. Whether they come up with the thumbs-up signal or come up with a hand, followed by the thumbs-up signal. I ask this to prepare for double whistle situations.

In conversation with last nights partner, he questioned which was proper. I think the held ball signal is used to stop the clock and indicate the call. I prefer the raised hand first, but I do not believe this is the NFHS mechanic.

In the Signal Chart at the back of the rule book, Signal 3 is "Stop clock for held ball". Iow, the "thumbs up" signal also stops the clock, so doing the open hand first would be redundant. (And, yes, I'm an expert at redundancy.)

mbyron Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 570811)
(And, yes, I'm an expert at redundancy.)

Ah, but are you an expert at repetition? :D

slow whistle Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:25am

If you go with an open palm first I don't think anyone will flog you for it even though it is not the proper mechanic. I used to do this but have weaned myself off of it in effort to perfect my mechanics even though I think it is useful if you have a double whistle....just like the two fists to the hips for a block rather than open palms to the hips, it just seems smoother to me to go from one fist at the top to two fists at the hips, but that isn't the mechanic so I have weaned myself from that as well...

What other mechanics have you all seen that are consistently butchered?

Scratch85 Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:25am

Make that 4 replies with a total of 14,135 posts (too long to write in binary), my hand is gone forever. :)

Adam Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:27am

I go straight to the thumbs, and that's how I see it done most of the time around here.

mick Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 570815)
Make that 4 replies with a total of 14,135 posts (too long to write in binary), my hand is gone forever. :)

Doesn't that leave only one thumb-up ?

deecee Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 570809)
IIRC, the Fed signal chart shows three signals that stop the clock: fist, open palm, and thumbs.

This doesnt make sense -- fist and palm?

M&M Guy Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 570813)
Ah, but are you an expert at repetition? :D

Of course.

But since one definition of redundant is: "Characterized by verbosity or unnecessary repetition in expressing ideas", that means I usually like to take repetition to a whole new level. :D

Adam Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 570823)
This doesnt make sense -- fist and palm?

How does it not make sense? Unless you thought he meant.....

never mind.

deecee Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:45am

ive never seen the fist then palm technique unless the official made the wrong one first and then changed.

Adam Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 570826)
ive never seen the fist then palm technique unless the official made the wrong one first and then changed.

Not what he meant. He simply said there's three separate signals to stop the clock. You would never use the fist and thumbs, either. That was his point. You don't need to use palm then thumbs.