The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Tallest Partner (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51057-tallest-partner.html)

agr8zebra Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:13pm

Tallest Partner

Working a game Wednesday with a former D1 player, as I recall he is kind of tall, just wondering what is the tallest partner you have every worked with?

mutantducky Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:17pm

6'6 but only once. About 5'3 shortest male. No one really tall or short yet.
Yao Ming as a ref:eek:

JRutledge Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:31pm

There is a guy that I have worked with multiple times that is about 6'10".

Peace

JugglingReferee Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:36pm

The shortest guy I ever reffed with was Billy Crystal. He is 5'7". I was an extra in "Forget Paris" - I was the ref that tried to talk him out of ejecting all those players.

Mark Padgett Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:45pm

I worked quite a few games with my son-in-law David who is 6'7". BTW - my brother-in-law Jim, who is 6'4" and played baseball in the Mets organization, played a referee as an extra in some movie that was shot here in Portland in 1993. It's called "The Temp" and starred Timothy Hutton. He's not listed in the credits, however.

zm1283 Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:14am

6'6" is the tallest I've worked with.

bigdogrunnin Tue Jan 20, 2009 01:14am

Worked with a guy at camp that was 7'1" tall. Works in the Midwest to the best of my recollection. Shortest was a woman that was 4'11", but she was in no way short on control of the game. :D

GoodwillRef Tue Jan 20, 2009 07:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 570322)
There is a guy that I have worked with multiple times that is about 6'10".

Peace

John Fullerton?

knockitoff Tue Jan 20, 2009 07:38am

Worked a GV game last night in the Flint, MI area with a former D1 player who is 6'8". One of the JV refs was about 6'7". Coaches seem to "go after" those big zebras less.

Amesman Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by knockitoff (Post 570376)
Worked a GV game last night in the Flint, MI area with a former D1 player who is 6'8". One of the JV refs was about 6'7". Coaches seem to "go after" those big zebras less.

No doubt how you carry yourself and enforce the rules makes a world of difference, but do others agree with knockitoff's observation that, all things being equal, tall officials seem to get more respect/slack from coaches? (players too?)

Raymond Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amesman (Post 570420)
No doubt how you carry yourself and enforce the rules makes a world of difference, but do others agree with knockitoff's observation that, all things being equal, tall officials seem to get more respect/slack from coaches? (players too?)

It probably makes a difference concerning how likely a fan/player/coach is to confront an official after a game or away from the court.

But during a game I think how you carry yourself makes more of a difference. I've seen tall officials catch a lot of grief.

Bad Zebra Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:41am

We've got one official who is 6'5" and one who is about 5'2". I've worked with both of them three times this season already. I swear my assigner is doing it on purpose because it looks so funny. (I'm 6') When we stand together at mid-court during pre-game, we look like that AT&T commercial "More Bars in More Places"

JugglingReferee Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 570422)
We've got one official who is 6'5" and one who is about 5'2". I've worked with both of them three times this season already. I swear my assigner is doing it on purpose because it looks so funny. (I'm 6') When we stand together at mid-court during pre-game, we look like that AT&T commercial "More Bars in More Places"

LOL :D Post of the month!

Ref_in_Alberta Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:16am

We've got a guy in our area who are 6'8" or taller. The best thing about working with him is he is a police officer; we generally don't have problems in our games together...

bigbeardedbryan Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:37pm

A member of our HS chapter is at least 6'10" (a head taller than myself at 6'3") and a spitting image of the brother on Everybody Loves Raymond. He doesn't get a whole lot of grief either.