The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Gi-normous tournament coming up (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51052-gi-normous-tournament-coming-up.html)

Mark Padgett Mon Jan 19, 2009 05:46pm

Gi-normous tournament coming up

Just got my first notification of the annual Northwest President's Day middle school tournament coming up Feb 13-16. Last year, there were over 350 tourney games on 20 floors. Since not all the local "elite" MS teams participate, we also had league games on another 12 floors so the total was almost 440 games in four days! Games run from 8 am until 8 pm. We use officials from Portland, Salem, Seattle, Tacoma and points in-between. It's the largest basketball tournament of any kind in Oregon (so I've been told).

You don't get scheduled more that 4 games without a break but, conceivably, you can get as many as 8 in one day. I actually prefer working the league games since they pay more than the tourney games, but either is fun.

I'm already stocking up on Thermacare patches and painkillers.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Jan 19, 2009 09:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 570237)
Just got my first notification of the annual Northwest President's Day middle school tournament coming up Feb 13-16. Last year, there were over 350 tourney games on 20 floors. Since not all the local "elite" MS teams participate, we also had league games on another 12 floors so the total was almost 440 games in four days! Games run from 8 am until 8 pm. We use officials from Portland, Salem, Seattle, Tacoma and points in-between. It's the largest basketball tournament of any kind in Oregon (so I've been told).

You don't get scheduled more that 4 games without a break but, conceivably, you can get as many as 8 in one day. I actually prefer working the league games since they pay more than the tourney games, but either is fun.

I'm already stocking up on Thermacare patches and painkillers.

Mark:

If the Tournament will pick up our air fare, car rental, hotel room, Daryl "Preacher" Long and I will be on the first plane out, ;).

MTD, Sr.

DonInKansas Mon Jan 19, 2009 09:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 570308)
If the Tournament will pick up our air fare, car rental, hotel room, Daryl "Preacher" Long and I will be on the first plane out, ;).

If you can talk my wife into letting me go on top of all of the above, I'm there as well.:p

Mark Padgett Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 570308)
Mark:

MTD, Sr.

Not a problem. I'll credit your checking account. Just give me your debit card number and PIN. :cool:

Actually, I don't do the assigning for this. My schedule is at the mercy of someone else for a change.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Jan 20, 2009 08:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 570339)
Not a problem. I'll credit your checking account. Just give me your debit card number and PIN. :cool:

Actually, I don't do the assigning for this. My schedule is at the mercy of someone else for a change.

Mark:

I would be happy to give them to you as soon as my wife lets me know what the are. :D

MTD, Sr.