The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   5-second closely guarded rule (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51047-5-second-closely-guarded-rule.html)

mutantducky Tue Jan 20, 2009 04:25pm

Because I haven't been doing girls game-- just to make sure

the 5 rule is only when a player is holding the ball? In the front and backcourt? So no dribbling five seconds like the boys?

Also, can it only be done after a dribble or can the count be started before the dribble and she is closely guarded?

love2refbball Tue Jan 20, 2009 05:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 570544)
Because I haven't been doing girls game-- just to make sure

the 5 rule is only when a player is holding the ball? In the front and backcourt? So no dribbling five seconds like the boys?

Also, can it only be done after a dribble or can the count be started before the dribble and she is closely guarded?

In NCAAW the five second count is only on a held ball, anywhere on the court, when a defender is within 3 feet, so no count while dribbling. And no not only AFTER a dribble, anytime the ball is being held, before or after the dribble. If my memory serves me right, in CA H.S. girls play with a 30 second shot clock and this rule pertains to them too.

mutantducky Tue Jan 20, 2009 05:23pm

Ok, I was thinking it was only on after the dribble. Luckily, nothing like that has come up yet.

BktBallRef Tue Jan 20, 2009 07:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef (Post 570519)
Just curious RUW, where do you see the fact that the defender must be between the basket and the player with the ball?

According to NFHS Rules Book Rule 4-23-2:

ART. 2 . . . To obtain an initial legal guarding position:
a. The guard must have both feet touching the playing court.
b. The front of the guard's torso must be facing the opponent.

I don't see any reference to the basket, here. Is it listed somewhere else?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 570520)
I'm also trying to figure out where the requirement is for LGP. I haven't found that one, either.

That's because it doesn't exist.

w_sohl Tue Jan 20, 2009 07:19pm

In California

Boys are standard in FED: Defender within 6'-0", dribbling or holding, front court

Girls are similar to NCAA, but instead of 3'-0" it is 6'-0" the rest is the same as NCAA, holding the ball only anywhere on the court. It is a result of us using the shot clock.

Coach Bill Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef (Post 570519)
Just curious RUW, where do you see the fact that the defender must be between the basket and the player with the ball?

According to NFHS Rules Book Rule 4-23-2:

ART. 2 . . . To obtain an initial legal guarding position:
a. The guard must have both feet touching the playing court.
b. The front of the guard's torso must be facing the opponent.

I don't see any reference to the basket, here. Is it listed somewhere else?

I don't think it's in the rule book, but it seems like common sense that the defender must be between the basket and the player (if he's dribbling). Otherwise, the player would be considered to have his head and shoulders in front of the defender and thus the count is off.

Conversely, if he's not dribbling, and is pivoting, the defender will often not be between him and the basket and the count should be on.

BktBallRef Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Bill (Post 570617)
I don't think it's in the rule book, but it seems like common sense that the defender must be between the basket and the player (if he's dribbling). Otherwise, the player would be considered to have his head and shoulders in front of the defender and thus the count is off.

Not all dribbler's are going to the basket.