The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Free Throw (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51011-free-throw.html)

Zoochy Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:16am

Free Throw

A1 is getting ready for a Free Throw. The ball is bounced to A1. A1 catches the ball. Upon catching the ball, A1 has 1 foot on the court beyond the back of the semi circle and the other foot touching the semi circle/beyond the semi circle. Part of this foot is inside the free throw area. Violation?

Nevadaref Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 569557)
A1 is getting ready for a Free Throw. The ball is bounced to A1. A1 catches the ball. Upon catching the ball, A1 has 1 foot on the court beyond the back of the semi circle and the other foot touching the semi circle/beyond the semi circle. Part of this foot is inside the free throw area. Violation?

Yes, but it is rarely called.

shishstripes Sat Jan 17, 2009 01:34am

A little preventative officiating doesn't hurt either, "A1, step up to the line."

JugglingReferee Sat Jan 17, 2009 05:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 569557)

Why pass the ball to the FT shooter knowingly a violation will be committed. Seems like baiting to me. Preventative officiating here... wait (or step 2: instruct) the shooter to fully enter the semi-circle.

Nevadaref Sat Jan 17, 2009 07:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 569589)
Why pass the ball to the FT shooter knowingly a violation will be committed. Seems like baiting to me. Preventative officiating here... wait (or step 2: instruct) the shooter to fully enter the semi-circle.

Would you prefer that the official charge the player with a T for not being in the semi-circle when the FT is ready to be administered? ;)

Zoochy Sat Jan 17, 2009 09:24am

I was the 'C' during this play. The lead bounced A1 the ball. I guess he assumed that A1 was fully inside the Free Throw area. I observed the position of his feet upon receiving the ball. I was going to pass on blowing the whistle, but he stayed there with feet inside and outside the free throw area for a count of two. Then proceeded towards the Free Throw line. I blew my whistle and called the violation. The Trail (He was also the Referee) came over to me and wanted me to reverse my call. I told him right or wrong, I am sticking to my call. Rule 9-3e supports my call. As Nevada stated it is a violation "but it is rarely called".
This was not a judgement, this was a infraction. I bet if we polled this board, over 80% would say "I would not call this violation". As officials, we bend a lot of rules. I guess I should have ignored this one.

JugglingReferee Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 569590)
Would you prefer that the official charge the player with a T for not being in the semi-circle when the FT is ready to be administered? ;)

No. This is when I have to tell the non-shooters something. But before I do that, I help the shooter prevent that T. ;)