The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   There's agony, and then there's officiating a middle school girls game that(m) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50980-theres-agony-then-theres-officiating-middle-school-girls-game-m.html)

Hunter Johnson Thu Jan 15, 2009 01:39pm

There's agony, and then there's officiating a middle school girls game that(m)

has at least 20 jumpballs and goes into overtime.

TURRIBLE, just TURRIBLE.

Although, I still love it.

Refsmitty Thu Jan 15, 2009 03:14pm

I've felt your pain - just hafta smile!:)

Freddy Thu Jan 15, 2009 03:35pm

You'll Jump at This!

Started out in '76 while in college, doing grade school games with that many jump balls each game. That was back when a jump ball was really a jump ball.
Shucks, we spent more time lining players up properly around the jump circles than we did making calls!
1-3/4 hour games were not all that uncommon.
I'm glad those days are over!
Anyone else remember that era?

Post Scriptum: Reimbursement rate was $5 per game, no matter how long each took. 3 games Friday nite, 2 Saturday morning, 3 Saturday night, 2 Sunday afternoon. $50.00 for a weekend of work was pretty big money for a college student back then. Of course, that's when tap beers were a quarter.

Mark Padgett Thu Jan 15, 2009 03:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunter Johnson (Post 568995)
goes into overtime.

Was that your fault or your partner's? :o

BEAREF Thu Jan 15, 2009 03:54pm

All my games have just one jumpball ;)... unless I cause it to go to overtime.

CaRef5 Thu Jan 15, 2009 05:16pm

:D yeah i feel your agony...last night i had a JV girls game that looked like a middle school girls game... the score was 22-2 at halftime :o

all i did was smile

grunewar Thu Jan 15, 2009 06:00pm

Definitely Feel Your Pain....

I remember a game last yr (G7th grade) in which my partner and I seemed to TWEET every five or six seconds. The game had absolutely NO flow (only good part was we get $50/game at that venue). I had a headache at halftime!! ARGH!! :(

I will say though, about a month later I went back there for another game (dreading it of course) and they had improved greatly (thank goodness) and it really wasn't that bad.

mutantducky Thu Jan 15, 2009 08:24pm

one day there will be a story about a ref hanging himself with their own whistle during a middle school girls game that goes into 4 ots.

"real jump balls"- made me shutter reading that.

refnrev Thu Jan 15, 2009 09:03pm

[QUOTE=Freddy;569091]Started out in '76 while in college, doing grade school games with that many jump balls each game. That was back when a jump ball was really a jump ball.
Shucks, we spent more time lining players up properly around the jump circles than we did making calls!
1-3/4 hour games were not all that uncommon.
___
Just take me now, Lord. Don't let me have to do a 1 3/4 hour grade school game. Take me now!

derwil Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:41pm

Had a middle school much as originator stated...bazillion jump balls/turn overs/fouls. Tied with 10 seconds left, team A inbounds - pass pass, shot! (clank) tweet!!! Foul! (WTG partner!! No OT!!)

Clank.

Clank.

OT.

OT.

OT. Total between both teams of 9 points scored in 3 OT periods...

budjones05 Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 569104)

Why did I figure Mark was going to ask this question?

muxbule Fri Jan 16, 2009 02:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by budjones05 (Post 569250)
Why did I figure Mark was going to ask this question?

Because when he has a name he goes to his witch doctor to have the overtime devil removed from that offical figuring it is evil spirits that caused the OT and until all overtime games are gone he can not rest.

snorman75 Fri Jan 16, 2009 03:45am

NO Joke

I tossed a grandmother out of a 8th grade girls game a few year back. She would not stop mouthing off. It is still lore around the area.

A Pennsylvania Coach Fri Jan 16, 2009 07:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 569104)

This whole "OT sucks never let it happen" crap is so tired.

I had a boys' JV game that went four overtimes and I loved every minute of it.

If you are lazy, get a different job.

If you think this is still funny, you are wrong.

Juulie Downs Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach (Post 569277)
This whole "OT sucks never let it happen" crap is so tired.

I had a boys' JV game that went four overtimes and I loved every minute of it.

If you are lazy, get a different job.

If you think this is still funny, you are wrong.

Okay, okay, PA, you've had a rough week what with the cold weather and all. There, there. Let's find you a different website for a couple hours, okay? Here's a nice amusing YouTube topic, okay?

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

You look at that for a few minutes and then have a nice cup of hot chocolate and read a little bit of Dave Barry or watch some SNL re-runs.

Sheez....

(someone tell that guy's wife to quit putting spray starch on his shorts...)