The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 05, 2002, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Has anyone ever Gus Busted?

I did 1 many years ago in college, but I seem to remember keeping score and doing very little reffing? I have been asked to work the "top" court, whatever that is this at the local Macker this weekend, any idea what I should expect?
Old Wed Jun 05, 2002, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
I am a GRIZZLED Macker verteran. But as a player not a Gus Buster or Super Buster. I played in about 4 - 8 of them every summer in college. Top Men's/Women's courts are the only place to play. Everywhere else it is a hack fest and EVERY call is argued.
From my playing experience you will get either great teams or ones that whine about everything. Add the element of heat and a large crowd (depending on where you are at) it can be really fun. Make sure you talk to the "Gus" and the other officials and see what they are and aren't going to call. I know hand checks are rarely called, if at all. Also, on the back's and block/charges are rare. You will get a lot of lip from the "wanna be's" but that is to be expected.
Remeber, have fun, there is no money involved and don't be fooled by the Toilet Bowl Championship game. Usually one team is REALLY intense wanting to win that.
Hope that helps
Old Wed Jun 05, 2002, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

There is no pay, but I am going to get about 3 bennies worth in gear, so I plan on earning it.

I kind of imagined it would be a no bodily fluid, no foul type atmosphere.
Old Wed Jun 05, 2002, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Sorry folks but I haven't a clue as to what you are talking about. Please enlighten us ill informed people.
Old Wed Jun 05, 2002, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Stan
Sorry folks but I haven't a clue as to what you are talking about. Please enlighten us ill informed people.
DITTO!!!
Old Wed Jun 05, 2002, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

The Gus Macker tournaments (i believe they have a web site) are 3 on 3 tournaments that take place all over the country, but usually the Midwest. It started in Belding, Michigan (or a suburb of). The guy that started this thing also owned the CBA team in Grand Rapids for a few years, called The Mackers. There is no such person as Gus Macker.
Some of these tournaments are HUGE. They estimated 250,000 at the Belding tournament I was at several years ago. You are broken up based on age, experience, height and a few other things. Other then Top Men's and Womens all courts are call your own fouls. It is double elimination and if you lose your first two you go into the "Toilet Bowl" bracket.
There have been some big names. I played against Steve Scheffler (Purdue) and Michael Finley when he was at Wisconsin. Fun stuff the Macker. Now I am too old and can't compete on the Top Men's level so it is not as fun.
Old Wed Jun 05, 2002, 01:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Maybe not good for officials.

The Macker is mainly a Midwestern thing as far as I know. They had a couple about an hour from where I grew up. One in Quincy and the other in Peoria, Illinois. It is a 3 on 3 tournament that sometimes big players play in. All levels from JH to Pro players can join with both Boys and Girls tournaments and levels. Great tournmament to watch, not the greatest to officiate thought. I would not recommended it unless you wanted to just make money. You sit in the same position and call fouls. Not very similar to normal mechanics or rules. So you really will not gain anything other than being an official and making calls and not having good position. Also it is Men's league type of competition with sometimes big money at stake. Might not be the most fun to do.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 05, 2002, 02:02pm
In Memoriam

Cool

A steady partner of mine was a Super Gus Buster one summer.
I have no interest in that or the Red Hacker, which is very similar.
But, oh, man! These small town hotels, motels and camp grounds fill up for those tournament weekends.
mick
Old Wed Jun 05, 2002, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rpirtle Send a message via Yahoo to rpirtle
So it's basically the same thing that "NBA Hoop It Up" does. We have HIU here in Dallas in June and it is also HUGE! Probably over 100 different divisions playing on 200 portable rims. I've played in the past and now officiate the Top Gun Brackets. Top Gun are the 10 most competitive brackets with no height, age, or experience limitations. HIU does pay but not much...probably $7 per game and they run 2 games per hour (30 min time limit). Very intense competitors in all brackets. I love it!
Old Wed Jun 05, 2002, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

SImilar to Hoop It Up (They stole Gus' idea) but much better to play in. I played in both and LOVED the Macker. You don't get paid for the Macker, but you usually get some good hook up on the Gear!
Old Wed Jun 05, 2002, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

ya dude, you will have a blast! I do it every year, and it is lots of fun!!!!
Old Thu Jun 06, 2002, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Macker is big here in Lafayette, IN. I've not worked nor sought Macker work, because I was steered clear of it by my association. The pay is poor, the work is hot, and the competitive spirit of the players tends to outweigh their competititve ability!

The police are on-hand to assist with the unrulies, which, I am told, are most often found to be the parents of the junior high school girls.

Our Gus Macker does end with a slam dunk contest, and I've found that to be pretty entertaining!
Old Thu Jun 06, 2002, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

We have something simular out here. It's called Marine Corps Intramural Basketball.
Old Sun Jun 09, 2002, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Ah, it is 5 days away!! I can't wait!! I love the Gus Macker!!! This year, my partner is the coolest dude on the block!! We are going to have an inconcievebly magnificent time. I would recommend doing the guss for anybody, you put up with tons of shi*, but i feel it to be a good learning athmosphere for certain things. Ah, 5 days!!!
Old Mon Jun 10, 2002, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

It took a bit to get used to it, but it was fun. It was mentioned that there is a lot o crap, but a lot of it is in fun, and, after all it is streetball. We are not going to call everything.

What I thought was really cool was after the mens champ game a number of the players (Most of the "losers" stayed to watch the final) came up to us to shake our hands and thank us. There seemed to be zero sportsmanship, but there was. In fact a couple of guys wo follow gus around and play every weekend say it was the best officiated gus they had been to. That felt good, so Doug, you have your work cut out.