The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Doh!, missed chance- False multiple (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50886-doh-missed-chance-false-multiple.html)

mutantducky Mon Jan 12, 2009 01:15am

Doh!, missed chance- False multiple

At least that's what I think it is called- false multiple foul. I had one and missed the chance of calling it. Would have been my first time too. I don't think I've seen anyone else ever call it. It was a drive and a defender fouled the shooter with a grab and then right after the shooter charged into the defender. So in that case, two shots with the lane cleared right? and then other team takes out endline(I mean baseline:) Right after I reported the foul I was like doh, I could have called that. One team was up by 20 and it was late in the game so it might have been kind of weird doing that call but it still would have been fun. Oh well, another time perhaps but it is such a rare play.
Do you signal the two fouls on the court? Then I suppose explanation of what the heck was happening to the players.

BktBallRef Mon Jan 12, 2009 01:23am

False double foul.

And no, you made the right call.

zm1283 Mon Jan 12, 2009 01:28am

Sounds like a false double foul to me. Multiple fouls are committed by the same team.

See 4-19.

zm1283 Mon Jan 12, 2009 01:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 567571)
False double foul.

And no, you made the right call.

Beat me to it. I was on the screen where you type your post for too long.

mutantducky Mon Jan 12, 2009 01:39am

False double, yeah that's it. Multiple didn't sound right to me. Anyone ever call these? I just can't think of anytime as a ref or player when I've seen them.

zm1283 Mon Jan 12, 2009 01:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 567576)
False double, yeah that's it. Multiple didn't sound right to me. Anyone ever call these? I just can't think of anytime as a ref or player when I've seen them.

Look at 4.19.9

False multiples are more common it seems like.

Adam Mon Jan 12, 2009 08:15am

Quote:

False double.

B1 fouls A1. A1 starts to get chippy, I tell him to knock it off. As I walk past him to administer the free throw, he says some unsportsmanlike things to B1. T.

False double.

JugglingReferee Mon Jan 12, 2009 09:03am

Quote:

Yup. Once.

I've posted my situation here twice before. B2 has roots, with A1 driving. A1 starts the shooting motion and bringing her arm up, gets smacked on the arm by B1. Tweet. Then A1 runs over stationary B2 - he secondary defender. That's another foul.

I determined that B1's arm-smack has no influence on A1's path, therefore A1 is not relieved of the duty to avoid contact with B2, who had LGP.

Although often we do rule that a push by B1 affected A1's path, and therefore, A1 is not responsible for fouling B2.

BktBallRef Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:30pm

Quote:

False double fouls occur quite often. A1 is fouled and goes to the line. While the FT is in the air, A2 fouls B1. False double foul.

Adam Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 567647)
False double fouls occur quite often. A1 is fouled and goes to the line. While the FT is in the air, A2 fouls B1. False double foul.

Or if, while the free shot is bouncing around the rim, B1 comes in and fouls the shooter, it would be a false multiple.