The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Correctable Error question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50883-correctable-error-question.html)

artmoe Sun Jan 11, 2009 08:58pm

Correctable Error question

Player A is shooting 2 freethrows. After the second made freethrow and before the opponent is about to put the ball in play on the end line, the table hits the horn and notifies the officials that the player that just shot the free throws has 5 fouls. Is this a correctable error? How do you correct this situation?

just another ref Sun Jan 11, 2009 09:01pm

Not a correctable error. The player with 5 fouls is disqualified when this is discovered. What he does in the meantime stands.

artmoe Sun Jan 11, 2009 09:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 567496)
Not a correctable error. The player with 5 fouls is disqualified when this is discovered. What he does in the meantime stands.

What about 2.10.1.b Awarding an unmerited free throw
or 2.10.1.c Permitting a wrong player to attempt a free throw.
We had this scenario come up in our meeting last monday night.

eyezen Sun Jan 11, 2009 09:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by artmoe (Post 567506)

A player is not disqualified until the proper procedure is completed (I call it CCP for short - coach clock player) so 2.10.1b&c do not apply.

Nevadaref Sun Jan 11, 2009 09:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by artmoe (Post 567506)

Those in your group need to be made aware of this past NFHS play ruling:

2000-01 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SUPPLEMENT #1 (11/9/00)

SITUATION 6: A1 is fouled and Team A is in the bonus. Before A1 attempts the one-and-one, A1 is whistled for a technical foul for taunting. A1 goes to the free-throw line to attempt the one-and-one with no players lined up. A1 makes the first free throw, then the horn sounds and the scorer indicates that A1’s technical foul was the fifth foul on A1. RULING: The result of A1’s first free throw shall stand and A1’s replacement shall attempt the remaining free throw (if the first was successful), before Team B shoots its technical foul free throws. COMMENT: This is not a correctable error for a wrong player attempting a free throw. A1 was not officially disqualified until the coach was notified. (3-3-3; 4-14-2; 2-8-3; 2-10-1c)

------------------------------------------------------

The above ruling is posted in our forum archive.

http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...tml#post558838

BillyMac Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:07pm

An Elephant Never Forgets, Neither Does Nevadaref ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 567509)
Those in your group need to be made aware of this past NFHS play ruling.

It figures that you would find an interpretation almost ten years old. How do even know where to start looking?

Nevadaref Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 567516)
It figures that you would find an interpretation almost ten years old. How do even know where to start looking?

Because I'm an excellent driver and I buy my underwear at K-mart. :D

Freddy Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:28pm

Re. Interps Archive -- All Still in Effect?

Nevadaref,

I appreciate having all those past interps available for ready reference. Are you aware of any which are no longer accurate due to more recent revisions in the rulebook? Or are they all current? So far all the ones I needed to reference for issues I have run across seem still in force.

Mark Padgett Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 567521)
Nevadaref,

I appreciate having all those past interps available for ready reference. Are you aware of any which are no longer accurate due to more recent revisions in the rulebook? Or are they all current?

They're all current except the ones that were numbered in binary. They expire every 2, er, I mean 10, years. ;)

Nevadaref Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 567521)
Nevadaref,

I appreciate having all those past interps available for ready reference. Are you aware of any which are no longer accurate due to more recent revisions in the rulebook? Or are they all current? So far all the ones I needed to reference for issues I have run across seem still in force.

Freddy,
There are a few which have been overturned or made obsolete by more recent rule changes.

I may go through the entire archive in the near future and create a list of those.

Freddy Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:57pm

Willing to Help

Next time I get a snow-out, I'll continue surfing through them to assist with the effort and forward to you by private message anything that seems questionable. Thus far, I've only checked out the ones that specifically applied to the questions at hand at the time.

More snow predicted throughout the week ahead, with temps into the single digits.

artmoe Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 567509)
Those in your group need to be made aware of this past NFHS play ruling:

2000-01 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SUPPLEMENT #1 (11/9/00)

SITUATION 6: A1 is fouled and Team A is in the bonus. Before A1 attempts the one-and-one, A1 is whistled for a technical foul for taunting. A1 goes to the free-throw line to attempt the one-and-one with no players lined up. A1 makes the first free throw, then the horn sounds and the scorer indicates that A1’s technical foul was the fifth foul on A1. RULING: The result of A1’s first free throw shall stand and A1’s replacement shall attempt the remaining free throw (if the first was successful), before Team B shoots its technical foul free throws. COMMENT: This is not a correctable error for a wrong player attempting a free throw. A1 was not officially disqualified until the coach was notified. (3-3-3; 4-14-2; 2-8-3; 2-10-1c)

------------------------------------------------------

The above ruling is posted in our forum archive.

http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...tml#post558838

Thanks for the supplement.