The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Backcourt Violation EARLY in the Game? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50801-backcourt-violation-early-game.html)

CMHCoachNRef Fri Jan 09, 2009 08:52am

Backcourt Violation EARLY in the Game?

A1 and B1 are the jumpers for the opening tip. A1 taps the ball forward toward A2 who is standing with both feet just in his front court. The tap is deflected by B2 toward the division line. A2 jumps into the air from the front court, catches the ball in the air and lands in the back court.

Using Rule 9-9-3 (exceptions include a defensive player or during a jump ball or throw-in a player may legally jump from his/her front court, secure control of the ball with one or both feet in the back court), combined with Case 9.9.1 D (A1's pass near the division line is deflected by B1; A2 jumps from Team A's front court, catches the ball in the air and lands in the back court. RULING: Backcourt violation on team A), the tip play should also be called a back court violation on Team A, correct?

bob jenkins Fri Jan 09, 2009 08:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef (Post 566454)
A1 and B1 are the jumpers for the opening tip. A1 taps the ball forward toward A2 who is standing with both feet just in his front court. The tap is deflected by B2 toward the division line. A2 jumps into the air from the front court, catches the ball in the air and lands in the back court.

Using Rule 9-9-3 (exceptions include a defensive player or during a jump ball or throw-in a player may legally jump from his/her front court, secure control of the ball with one or both feet in the back court), combined with Case 9.9.1 D (A1's pass near the division line is deflected by B1; A2 jumps from Team A's front court, catches the ball in the air and lands in the back court. RULING: Backcourt violation on team A), the tip play should also be called a back court violation on Team A, correct?

That's how I'd rule (but I'd also like to change the interp).

mick Fri Jan 09, 2009 09:16am

Quote:

I fail to recognize where team control was demonstrated on the tip/deflection play.
No violation.

CMHCoachNRef Fri Jan 09, 2009 09:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 566459)
That's how I'd rule (but I'd also like to change the interp).

Bob, I couldn't agree more. This call, is related, but different from, my other post concerning the purpose of the division line and the hard-to-explain and harder-to-justify backcourt violation rules. In this case, the rule calls for a back court violation. I think that even those who feel that the purpose of all of these violations is to create more turnovers for the defensive team would have to concede that this one fails to meet that criteria (1 second into the game).

This situation is yet another that would be "fixed" (assuming that you agree that this is a bad rule) by a change in the division line rule.

bob jenkins Fri Jan 09, 2009 09:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 566469)
I fail to recognize where team control was demonstrated on the tip/deflection play.
No violation.

TC when A2 caught the ball in the air.

CMHCoachNRef Fri Jan 09, 2009 09:21am

Quote:

No violation.

Mick,
This play is no different than case 9.9.1 D. The player has front court status when he jumps into the air to catch the ball. When he catches the ball, he still has front court status (and team control). As soon as he lands in the back court, he has committed a violation, correct? If not, how is this situation different from 9.9.1 D?

Indianaref Fri Jan 09, 2009 09:26am

Quote:

No violation.

As I read the play, team control is established when airborne A2 catches the ball. When he catches the ball he has front court status. When he lands, he has violated.

mick Fri Jan 09, 2009 09:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef (Post 566475)
Mick,
This play is no different than case 9.9.1 D. The player has front court status when he jumps into the air to catch the ball. When he catches the ball, he still has front court status (and team control). As soon as he lands in the back court, he has committed a violation, correct? If not, how is this situation different from 9.9.1 D?

In 9.9.1D, team control is implied by the phrase * A1's pass *.

Indianaref Fri Jan 09, 2009 09:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 566482)
In 9.9.1D, team control is implied by the phrase * A1's pass *.

In this OP case, team control is established with A2' catch.

mbyron Fri Jan 09, 2009 09:33am

I don't know if this is the reason Bob wants to change the interp, but here's mine: for a throw-in, we have an exception that allows a player to be in FC, jump, catch the ball, and land in BC.

Why not extend that to any play where a player in the air establishes team control? That would make the OP legal, as well as an intercepted pass (anyone ever call that violation?).

Indianaref Fri Jan 09, 2009 09:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 566484)
I don't know if this is the reason Bob wants to change the interp, but here's mine: for a throw-in, we have an exception that allows a player to be in FC, jump, catch the ball, and land in BC.

Why not extend that to any play where a player in the air establishes team control? That would make the OP legal, as well as an intercepted pass (anyone ever call that violation?).

Along with Bob and you, I 3rd that motion. The I's have it.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Jan 09, 2009 09:48am

Quote:

The play described by CMHCoachNRef is a backcourt violation by Team A. Why is it a violation?

RULING: When did the jump ball end? It ended when B2 touched the ball that was tapped by jumper A1. The jump ball exception to the rule ended when the jump ball ended. When A2 caught the ball, he simultaneously established player and team control of the ball as well as giving the ball front court status because A2's airborne status was in Team A's frontcourt. When A2 landed in Team A's backcourt he was the first to touch the ball in the backcourt after Team A had caused the ball to go to its backcourt after it had been in Team A's frontcourt.

MTD, Sr.

mick Fri Jan 09, 2009 09:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 566495)
The play described by CMHCoachNRef is a backcourt violation by Team A. Why is it a violation?

RULING: When did the jump ball end? It ended when B2 touched the ball that was tapped by jumper A1. The jump ball exception to the rule ended when the jump ball ended. When A2 caught the ball, he simultaneously established player and team control of the ball as well as giving the ball front court status because A2's airborne status was in Team A's frontcourt. When A2 landed in Team A's backcourt he was the first to touch the ball in the backcourt after Team A had caused the ball to go to its backcourt after it had been in Team A's frontcourt.

MTD, Sr.

And why is A2 not a defensive player before he catches the ball and is allowed to land?

CMHCoachNRef Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 566499)
And why is A2 not a defensive player before he catches the ball and is allowed to land?

I would say that for A2 to be considered to be a defensive player, Team B would have to establish team control -- which has not happened, in this case.

Ch1town Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef (Post 566522)
I would say that for A2 to be considered to be a defensive player, Team A would have to establish team control -- which has not happened, in this case.

:confused: :confused: