The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Circling court in warm ups

I had a guy from our association just call me with a question. He was at a boys varsity contest. While getting captains at center court, the visiting team circles the entire court. The home teams coach comes running out to the captains meeting saying its a technical foul for "intimidation". The ref tells the coach, I was doing the captains meeting, I didnt see them do it. Then the 2 umpires(one of them is the guy that called me) both say they saw it and then decide to give the visiting team a technical foul to start the game.

Now Ive not heard of this except for the Catholic Youth Organization (CYO) rules. It states the home team cannot encircle the visiting team on the court. But again thats the CYO and this was MHSAA, NFHS rules.

So I told the guy I thought they did the wrong thing, now I wanna hear from you guys. I lurk a lot and learn a lot from you guys so thanks in advance!~~~Kelly
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:06pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Check Out This Thread

It was just recently discussed:

Team Pre-Game Perimeter Lap

Bottom Line: Check with your state.

Last edited by grunewar; Tue Jan 06, 2009 at 10:09pm.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Probably have to check with your state association about the lap thing. The two umpires obviously saw something that reflected baiting or taunting. I would take their word for it.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks!

Thank you and sorry for the duplication in threads! The guy that called me has emailed Mark Uyl from the MHSAA to see what he has to say about it. Thanks again~~~
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
Wasn't this a POE within the last 10 years about making sure teams don't interfere with another team's warmup by cutting through or being in the opponent's side of the court?

AK has no rule against running around the court but what more did the visiting team do? All the U's said was that they saw them run around the court. Did they see them trying to "intimidate" or taunt the home team? Is there a rule in your state that says you cannot run around the court during warmups? Did they interfere with the home team's warm-up by cutting through their court?
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 05:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishstripes View Post
Wasn't this a POE within the last 10 years about making sure teams don't interfere with another team's warmup by cutting through or being in the opponent's side of the court?
Uh, yeah, the POE that I cited in that other thread.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Uh, yeah, the POE that I cited in that other thread.
There goes the New Year's resolution.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LouisianaDave
In Louisiana this is an Automatic T, but I think this rule is similar to the coaching box that some states have and others dont.