The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Verticality (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50740-verticality.html)

rockyroad Tue Jan 06, 2009 03:10pm

Verticality

Can someone explain to me why the concept of verticality is so hard for some people to grasp? I really don't get it. It's been around for what? 20 years or so?

Watching a friend's son play last night (HS Varsity, medium size schools out here). Drive to the basket from C's area, weak side defender comes over and jumps straight up in the air, arms straight up. Offensive player is jumping forward, and uses his left forearm in the face of the defender to push the defender away. Whistle, and blocking foul called and reported to table.

I was sitting about 4 rows behind the table, so heard the Coach ask "Why was it a block?" and the official's answer was "He jumped, Coach. If he wants the charge he needs to have both feet set."

Yikes!!:mad:

Adam Tue Jan 06, 2009 03:13pm

Ouch. I'm sure that told the coach all he needed to know.

mbyron Tue Jan 06, 2009 03:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 565280)
Ouch. I'm sure that told the coach all he needed to know.

I doubt it. Half the coaches around here would have been telling the kid not to jump next time. :eek:

JRutledge Tue Jan 06, 2009 03:16pm

Simply, the word has 5 syllables in it. :D

Peace

mutantducky Tue Jan 06, 2009 04:00pm

so just to make sure you can call a charge in this case, with or without the offensive player sticking his arm out. Doesn't matter if the player is jumping. I have called charges here just want to be sure I get it right or do a no-call.

Adam Tue Jan 06, 2009 04:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 565305)
so just to make sure you can call a charge in this case, with or without the offensive player sticking his arm out. Doesn't matter if the player is jumping. I have called charges here just want to be sure I get it right or do a no-call.

correct. If the defense is jumping straight up in the air and the offensive player jumps into him; no call or PC.

rockyroad Tue Jan 06, 2009 04:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 565305)

Correct. The defender is allowed to jump straight up, and if the shooter causes the contact, any call should be PC (not charge).

It was hard to sit there with a straight face after that explanation...since the official is a friend of mine, I called him after the game and we talked about it. He still doesn't get it. Oh well...

truerookie Tue Jan 06, 2009 05:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 565309)

He still doesn't get it. Oh well...

This is why I say IT IS WHAT IT IS!

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Jan 07, 2009 01:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 565275)
Can someone explain to me why the concept of verticality is so hard for some people to grasp? I really don't get it. It's been around for what? 20 years or so?

Watching a friend's son play last night (HS Varsity, medium size schools out here). Drive to the basket from C's area, weak side defender comes over and jumps straight up in the air, arms straight up. Offensive player is jumping forward, and uses his left forearm in the face of the defender to push the defender away. Whistle, and blocking foul called and reported to table.

I was sitting about 4 rows behind the table, so heard the Coach ask "Why was it a block?" and the official's answer was "He jumped, Coach. If he wants the charge he needs to have both feet set."

Yikes!!:mad:

rockyroad:

It makes you want to smack the official into the next year, :D. But the Principle of Verticality has been with us in NFHS, NCAA (AIAW too), and FIBA for over fifty (50) years.

MTD, Sr.

Nevadaref Wed Jan 07, 2009 05:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 565486)
rockyroad:

It makes you want to smack the official into the next year, :D. But the Principal of Verticality has been with us in NFHS, NCAA (AIAW too), and FIBA for over fifty (50) years.

MTD, Sr.

Is there also a Dean of Team Control or perhaps a Director of Throw-ins? :D

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Jan 07, 2009 07:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 565502)
Is there also a Dean of Team Control or perhaps a Director of Throw-ins? :D

Hey, it was 01:01amEST in the morning. You should be happy that I was able to type all of that with only one spelling mistake.

Besides 'Old Blue Eyes' is Chairman of the Board, :D.

MTD, Sr.