The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
I would get a new partner. This guy had to be a moron to say that. If I had a partner say that to me, I'd clam up and not listen to him postgame in the locker room, just change and get the hell outta Dodge.
My first words in the locker room would be simple, "WTF was that?"
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 03:13pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
freddie_g2001:

Sounds like your partner is as big a schmuck as the HC you whacked.

MTD, Sr.
Maybe his brother was HC of Team B.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 09:39am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
My first words in the locker room would be simple, "WTF was that?"
Or go off on him like Earl Strom going off on Dick Bevetta that one time...someone posted the story somewhere on the forum.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 09:45am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Or go off on him like Earl Strom going off on Dick Bevetta that one time...someone posted the story somewhere on the forum.
Padgett keeps it on his copy/paste clipboard for easy access.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Forward your partner this thread. Sounds as though he needs to get a set.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

The problem, at least around here, is that too many guys would've let this type of comment go because we've heard this affects the outcome if we administer one late. My thinking is that the coach should be extra careful to keep his trap shut late in the game if he doesn't want the outcome affected!

The assignor in our area (a neighbor to TX) allows a limited number of "scratches" by a coach, and I've found that coaches get mad over T's, but they save their scratches for guys who they don't think they can trust to make good calls in big games.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Easy T. Automatic T.

Jerk partner. Idiot partner. Partner who has no guts.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalfan View Post
The problem, at least around here, is that too many guys would've let this type of comment go because we've heard this affects the outcome if we administer one late. My thinking is that the coach should be extra careful to keep his trap shut late in the game if he doesn't want the outcome affected!

The assignor in our area (a neighbor to TX) allows a limited number of "scratches" by a coach, and I've found that coaches get mad over T's, but they save their scratches for guys who they don't think they can trust to make good calls in big games.
You already affect the outcome if you dont call it. Besides the coach or player affects the outcome by saying or doing stupid things that we give a T for. The blame game is the easiest game to play in life.

I had my second T for the year yesterday, BV about 4 minutes to go visitors up by 6. V1 drives and plows H1 in the paint, easy player control. After the whistle and foul I am going to report and V1 punches the padding behind the basket and yells "WHAT!!! F*&%!!!" - T.

Home teams scores 4 on the ensuing FT's and possesion. They end up losing by 11, but would I have felt bad if that was a big turning point. H-E-L-L NO.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
You already affect the outcome if you dont call it. Besides the coach or player affects the outcome by saying or doing stupid things that we give a T for. The blame game is the easiest game to play in life.
My thoughts exactly. Sad that too many others are like the original poster's partner.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 12:32pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie_g2001 View Post
One of my partners came up to me afterwards and said, "You just cost them the game" I
Freddie, when you say "afterwards" do you mean after the game - as in while you were in the locker room? Or did this guy actually say this to you right there on the court where the coaches/fans/players/table crew could hear what he said?

If he said it in the locker room, have at it with him...let him know exactly what you think of his comments and attitude...and then let it stay right there. It ends with that discussion.

If he said it on the court during the game where others could hear, then you need to be contacting whoever is in charge in your area or State, and let them know exactly what this guy said.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 12:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

I completely agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Freddie, when you say "afterwards" do you mean after the game - as in while you were in the locker room? Or did this guy actually say this to you right there on the court where the coaches/fans/players/table crew could hear what he said?

If he said it in the locker room, have at it with him...let him know exactly what you think of his comments and attitude...and then let it stay right there. It ends with that discussion.

If he said it on the court during the game where others could hear, then you need to be contacting whoever is in charge in your area or State, and let them know exactly what this guy said.
Either way, I would have said something to this official in the locker room. Not that you need to be confrontational, but you do need to sometimes set the record straight. And if he still disagrees, move on. This definitely would not have gone unchallenged or without some further discussion on my part.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

My Partner said it right after the call.....coach didnt hear...?