The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jumping before dribbling (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50690-jumping-before-dribbling.html)

referee99 Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:21pm

Jumping before dribbling

Seems like I've started running across instances with players who like to jump into the air before releasing the ball for a dribble. No advantage being gained, just a habitual motion, where they receive the pass, hop into the air slightly and then push the ball to the floor.

This is occurring without defensive pressure, usually guards in the backcourt. Is it some sort of timing thing for them? Call it? (i haven't) or wait for a sitch with defensive pressure?

shishstripes Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:35pm

It is traveling when the pivot foot leaves the floor before the ball is released for a dribble. There are many that say not to consider violations on a advantage/disadvantage basis because you are putting the defensive team at a disadvantage by not calling the violation and giving them the possession.

Guarantee if you call it, this bad habit will end even if no one is around early in the game.

ma_ref Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shishstripes (Post 564213)
Guarantee if you call it, this bad habit will end even if no one is around early in the game.

Absolutely. Start calling it, and you'll be surprised how fast they change their ways. I tend to call this stuff probably more often than most especially for the younger kids. The sooner they learn, the sooner they can correct it...

mick Sun Jan 04, 2009 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 564206)
Seems like I've started running across instances with players who like to jump into the air before releasing the ball for a dribble. No advantage being gained, just a habitual motion, where they receive the pass, hop into the air slightly and then push the ball to the floor.

This is occurring without defensive pressure, usually guards in the backcourt. Is it some sort of timing thing for them? Call it? (i haven't) or wait for a sitch with defensive pressure?

A hunert years ago, I spent my Junior year in high school doing that. Nobody told me why I was being called for traveling.

These days, after I have called "Traveling" three or more times on the same player, I may walk by him during a dead ball and explain that he's taking a hop before each start of a dribble.
Twice this year the players have said, "Oh, thanks."

refnrev Sun Jan 04, 2009 03:08pm

I did that once in the 6th grade. I heard the whistle, asked what I did, was told I jumped before I dribbled and never did it again!

BillyMac Sun Jan 04, 2009 04:00pm

No Pivot Foot To Lift ???

I believe that it would be legal for a player, while in the air, to secure a rebound, or catch a pass, and start a dribble before either foot has touched the floor. Am I correct?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Jan 04, 2009 04:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 564291)
I believe that it would be legal for a player, while in the air, to secure a rebound, or catch a pass, and start a dribble before either foot has touched the floor. Am I correct?

Billy:

Yes you are correct, because the player has yet to establish a pivot foot before returning to the floor.

MTD, Sr.