The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Over the backboard (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50674-over-backboard.html)

zm1283 Sat Jan 03, 2009 02:25pm

Over the backboard

Let me preface this by saying that I know that I shouldn't have seen this, but I did.

Boys freshman game, I'm the lead. Team A shoots, ball hits the back of the rim and goes over the top of the backboard. I see it out of the corner of my eye because I was fairly wide on the end line. I kind of wait a second to see if my partner is going to call it, but he doesn't, and Team B's players are standing there looking at me wondering if anyone is going to call it. I hit the whistle and call it.

I guess this was the right thing to do even if it isn't really my call. It was very obvious so I couldn't really let it go. Anybody else have similar occurances?

ref2coach Sat Jan 03, 2009 02:46pm

Related situation: A1's missed shot rebounds over top edge of square backboard. Ball is falling in bounds where B2 catches the ball unpressured. Let the game proceed or "interrupt the flow" and make the call.

BillyMac Sat Jan 03, 2009 02:47pm

Exception To PCA, Call The Obvious ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 563960)
I guess this was the right thing to do even if it isn't really my call. It was very obvious so I couldn't really let it go.

Call the obvious.

BillyMac Sat Jan 03, 2009 02:50pm

Who You Gonna Call To Interupt The Flow? Mythbusters ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref2coach (Post 563965)
"Interrupt the flow".

I'm not sure what "Interrupt the flow" means, but:

The front, top, sides, and bottom of the backboard are all in play. The ball cannot pass over a rectangular backboard from either direction. The back of a backboard is out of bounds as well as the supporting structures.

grunewar Sat Jan 03, 2009 04:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 563960)
It was very obvious so I couldn't really let it go. Anybody else have similar occurances?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 563966)
Call the obvious.

I went to a local rec league coach’s clinic this morning. Guest speaker was the local HS coach (over 600 wins between HS and college, four state HS championships, etc.) – good guy. He had the VB demonstrate drills, talked philosophy, etc. Great stuff.

After the clinic, I introduced myself as a young official (he kinda already knows me) and I said if you had a gym full of refs what one tidbit would you tell them. He said, “If you are near the coach (probably C or T) and you see it at his angle and it’s obvious, call it.” He then elaborated by saying that he understands “our primary area” and where we “should” be looking, but went on to say if it’s obvious grab it – even if it isn’t yours. Lastly he said, don’t let the game get out of control because you didn’t make a call you could/should have.

I thought it was an interesting perspective from a seasoned coach.

BillyMac Sat Jan 03, 2009 04:15pm

Interesting Perspective ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 563985)
I thought it was an interesting perspective from a seasoned coach.

grunewar: Good post. Thanks for sharing.

mbyron Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:00am

Last night, BV game. A kid goes into the lane a bit out of control and throws the ball up for a layup. It goes way too high and just nicks the support. Lead sees it, but neither C nor T do. Lead blows the whistle. Good call!

BillyMac Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:21am

Six Of One, Half Dozen Of Another ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 564176)
Last night, BV game. A kid goes into the lane a bit out of control and throws the ball up for a layup. It goes way too high and just nicks the support. Lead sees it, but neither C nor T do. Lead blows the whistle. Good call!

Bad mechanics. Good call.