The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 06:12am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Ref60 : 60s of Officiating : NBA Official Bob Delaney on Leadership

Home Page : 60 Seconds on Officiating

Dec 30/08 Article : 60 Seconds on Officiating: NBA Official Bob Delaney on Leadership

Media:

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Fri Jan 02, 2009 at 06:54am.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 08:37am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Fascinating read - especially the part about the mob and witness relocation program. Thanks for sharing. My favorite excepts:

"You hear just about everything and, truthfully, you grow numb to it all pretty fast: "Hey, ref, get it right for once!". . . "Hey, ref, your fly's open!" . . . "Hey, ref, eat me!" . . . "Hey, ref, you suck!" . . . "Hey, ref, don't quit your day job!" . . . and one I have to give points to for creativity: "Hey, Delaney, I've seen better referees at the Foot Locker!"

"Contrary to the popular belief that we in the NBA don't make any traveling calls, we're constantly working on picking up pivot-foot violations."

"I could hear the usual stuff from some of the fans who were just getting warmed up like everyone else. "Be fair, ref, call 'em at both ends," and other lines with choice adjectives and nouns attached."
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 01:25pm
Lighten up, Francis.

I posted the following thread back in February. The link in it is to an ESPN interview with Delaney. It's still active, so you can read it if you want. I was able to hear him speak recently and it was a pretty cool experience.

Bob Delaney -- One of the Good Guys