The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   The Anti-Packer (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50642-anti-packer.html)

justacoach Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:46pm

The Anti-Packer

Did anyone catch the NC-Nevada men's game on ESPN last night. Second time I had heard Fran Fraschilla properly elucidate a rules justification. NC played was dribbling down lane on the way to a shot when defender slid over and got hit in torso. He properly noted during slo-mo that defender established LGP and therefore was entitled to move laterally and take contact. Had a few other choice rules related comments that were also on point.
Refreshing breath of fresh air from the talking heads. Kudos to Fraschilla.

grunewar Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:52pm

Yeah, I saw the game too and recall the play you're referring to. I thought it was great that the UNC player called for the charge had a little grin on his face, but popped right off the ground without argument, and ran the other way to play defense. A good lesson for all the whiners and complainers!

BktBallRef Thu Jan 01, 2009 01:02pm

The commentators were Steve Lavin and Bob Wischusen. Fran Fraschilla was not on the game.

sseltser Thu Jan 01, 2009 03:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 563421)
Did anyone catch the NC-Nevada men's game on ESPN last night. Second time I had heard Fran Fraschilla properly elucidate a rules justification. NC played was dribbling down lane on the way to a shot when defender slid over and got hit in torso. He properly noted during slo-mo that defender established LGP and therefore was entitled to move laterally and take contact. Had a few other choice rules related comments that were also on point.
Refreshing breath of fresh air from the talking heads. Kudos to Fraschilla.

I think that may have been Fran making that comment at the Notre Dame - Depaul game. But I did catch it... and I said to my father (who is a HS coach) that everything that he just said is absolutely correct, ruleswise.

JRutledge Thu Jan 01, 2009 04:15pm

Fran tends to bend over backwards to explain the rule. He even talks about things as POE that really is not. But I appreciate his comments because he even explains how fans see things and points out how they are wrong as it relates to the rules.

Peace.

refnrev Thu Jan 01, 2009 05:33pm

[QUOTE=justacoach;563421]Did anyone catch the NC-Nevada men's game on ESPN last night. Second time I had heard Fran Fraschilla properly elucidate a rules justification.

You keep using words like "elucidate" and no one will talk to you anymore!!:)

BillyMac Thu Jan 01, 2009 06:29pm

"She walks in beauty, like the night" ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by refnrev (Post 563504)
You keep using words like "elucidate" and no one will talk to you anymore

Not true. mbyron will not only understand the post without using a dictionary, but he will respond in similar fashion.

Nevadaref Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:17pm

I attended the NC @ NV game last night in person, so I did not hear the TV commentary. :D

However, I did watch the Villanova @ Marquette game today and Fran Fraschilla most definitely was one of the broadcasters for it. He made a number of excellent rules comments and properly assessed several situations.

One of his comments following a PC foul was spot on as he stated that even though the defender (James of Marquette) was moving on the play, he had established LGP with both feet on the floor and facing the opponent and then was allowed to be moving sideways or backwards when the offensive player ran over him. He even added that this is not what most fans think. :eek:

He is doing a wonderful job. :)

JugglingReferee Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 563551)
He even added that this is not what most fans think. :eek:

He is doing a wonderful job. :)

So he'll be fired soon?

Nevadaref Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 563553)
So he'll be fired soon?

(I know that your comment was intended to be amusing.)

Not if I can help it.

I plan to write a letter to ESPN praising the job that he is doing and urging them to hire more announcers with a quality understanding of the rules or getting the people that they already have to spend some time increasing theirs.

Coach Bill Fri Jan 02, 2009 03:43pm

Could someone explain what Legal Guarding Position is, and, how it relates to taking a charge?

Consider this scenario:

A defensive player is stationary hoping to take a charge, but the offensive player is athletic enough to slide to one side to avoid him. As the offensive player avoids him, the defensive player slides and is moving when contact is made.

Isn't that a blocking foul?

Adam Fri Jan 02, 2009 03:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Bill (Post 563730)
Could someone explain what Legal Guarding Position is, and, how it relates to taking a charge?

Consider this scenario:

A defensive player is stationary hoping to take a charge, but the offensive player is athletic enough to slide to one side to avoid him. As the offensive player avoids him, the defensive player slides and is moving when contact is made.

1. Is the offensive player airborne? blocking foul.
2. Is the defender sliding towards the non-airborne offensive player? If not, PC.

Nevadaref Fri Jan 02, 2009 03:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Bill (Post 563730)

Consider this scenario:

Only if the offensive player has gotten his head and shoulders past the torso of the defender or if he has gone airborne. Otherwise the defender is allowed to be moving sideways or backwards at the time of the contact. The rules do not require the defender to be stationary.

Here are the rules for guarding:
Rule 4
SECTION 23 GUARDING
ART. 1 . . . Guarding is the act of legally placing the body in the path of an
offensive opponent. There is no minimum distance required between the guard
and opponent, but the maximum is 6 feet when closely guarded. Every player is
entitled to a spot on the playing court provided such player gets there first
without illegally contacting an opponent. A player who extends an arm, shoulder,
hip or leg into the path of an opponent is not considered to have a legal position
if contact occurs.
ART. 2 . . . To obtain an initial legal guarding position:
a. The guard must have both feet touching the playing court.
b. The front of the guard’s torso must be facing the opponent.
ART. 3 . . . After the initial legal guarding position is obtained:
a. The guard may have one or both feet on the playing court or be airborne,
provided he/she has inbound status.
b. The guard is not required to continue facing the opponent.
c. The guard may move laterally or obliquely to maintain position, provided it
is not toward the opponent when contact occurs.
d. The guard may raise hands or jump within his/her own vertical plane.
e. The guard may turn or duck to absorb the shock of imminent contact.
ART. 4 . . . Guarding an opponent with the ball or a stationary opponent without
the ball:
a. No time or distance is required to obtain an initial legal position.
b. If the opponent with the ball is airborne, the guard must have obtained legal
position before the opponent left the floor.
ART. 5 . . . Guarding a moving opponent without the ball:
a. Time and distance are factors required to obtain an initial legal position.
b. The guard must give the opponent the time and/or distance to avoid
contact.
c. The distance need not be more than two strides.
d. If the opponent is airborne, the guard must have obtained legal position
before the opponent left the floor.

BktBallRef Fri Jan 02, 2009 06:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 563732)
1. Is the offensive player airborne? blocking foul.
2. Is the defender sliding towards the non-airborne offensive player? If not, PC.

3. The defender gets to the spot before the offensive player. PC. If not, block.

BillyMac Sat Jan 03, 2009 07:41am

Who You Gonna Call ??? Mythbusters ...

A defensive player does not have to remain stationary to take a charge. A defender may turn away or duck to absorb contact, provided he or she has already established legal guarding position, which is both feet on the playing court and facing the opponent. The defender can always move backwards or sideways to maintain a legal guarding position and may even have one or both feet off the playing court when contact occurs. That player may legally rise vertically. If the defender is moving forward, then the contact is caused by the defender, which is a blocking foul.