The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Shot clock reset question. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50626-shot-clock-reset-question.html)

referee99 Wed Dec 31, 2008 03:16pm

Shot clock reset question.

This question was on an association test early this year:
Quote:

The AP arrow is pointed to White. White #10 attempts a try for goal with 10 secs left on the Shot clock and the ball misses the rim. White #55 and Blue #45 both grab the ball at the SAME TIME creating a held ball.

a) White is awarded the throw-in and the shot clock will be reset.

b) White is awarded the throw-in and the shot clock will NOT be reset.

I answered (b) and the answer came back (a)!

I spoke to an official last night, and he was in camp (a).
I still don't understand his logic, which involved no team control, and SIMULTANEOUS held ball occurring.

What am I missing?

RCBSports Wed Dec 31, 2008 03:20pm

Well, before I read the answer, my choice was A. Not sure exactly why though. I don't know too much about shot clocks, since we don't use them in High School. But after thinking about it, I see logic to both answers. I dunno what to tell you. My suggestion is to look up when a shot clock is set to restart.

Keep me informed.

-Lucas

OHBBREF Wed Dec 31, 2008 03:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCBSports (Post 563177)
Well, before I read the answer, my choice was A. Not sure exactly why though.

the shot clock does not reset - the ball didn't hit the rim do not reset the clock with no change of possession.

bob jenkins Wed Dec 31, 2008 04:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 563174)
What am I missing?

B is the correct NCAAW answer. I think A is the correct NCAAM answer.

referee99 Wed Dec 31, 2008 04:29pm

maybe thats part of the problem...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 563198)
B is the correct NCAAW answer. I think A is the correct NCAAM answer.

Federation Rules test. --- rather, a local high school association test.

eyezen Wed Dec 31, 2008 04:44pm

Which is it???

It can't be a NFHS rules test if it involves a shot clock. Your OP is more correct than your LP, it was a local association test.

Which means who knows what shotclock ruleset you're playing under or if it's some sort of local *******ized version. The best answer would be to ask the people who wrote it.

referee99 Wed Dec 31, 2008 04:47pm

righto. local HS assoc test.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyezen (Post 563209)
It can't be a NFHS rules test if it involves a shot clock. Your OP is more correct than your LP, it was a local association test.

Which means who knows what shotclock ruleset you're playing under or if it's some sort of local *******ized version. The best answer would be to ask the people who wrote it.

California.

eyezen Wed Dec 31, 2008 05:09pm

Link

Source:

Shot Clock Rules and California Modifications

The shot clock will be stopped and the offensive team shall have the unexpired time remaining on the shot clock to attempt a shot when play continues:

* Following a time-out.
* Following a deflection out-of-bounds by a defensive player.
* Following an official’s time-out for an injured player.
* Following an official’s time-out for a player who loses a contact lens or glasses.
* Following a held ball and the offensive team retains possession of the ball by the AP arrow procedure.

referee99 Wed Dec 31, 2008 06:34pm

Awesome. I am 'moded'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyezen (Post 563214)
Link

Source:

Shot Clock Rules and California Modifications

The shot clock will be stopped and the offensive team shall have the unexpired time remaining on the shot clock to attempt a shot when play continues:

* Following a time-out.
* Following a deflection out-of-bounds by a defensive player.
* Following an official’s time-out for an injured player.
* Following an official’s time-out for a player who loses a contact lens or glasses.
* Following a held ball and the offensive team retains possession of the ball by the AP arrow procedure.

I know the shot clock rules. My consternation was that a very, very knowledgeable high school official would tell me something that directly contradicted the rules. He knows the rules of the games... and he's telling me this??

bJenkins response that NCAA rules are different opens up the opportunity that my senior official is just getting the wires crossed a bit. I know he does college ball as well.