The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   yelling in opponent's face (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50621-yelling-opponents-face.html)

hoopguy Wed Dec 31, 2008 08:19am

yelling in opponent's face

I was a spectator at a GV game last night and one team's defensive tactics were to yell in the face of the girl who had the ball. My IAABO instructor had said that this is illegal and should be an unsporting technical foul. It was never called last night. Today I have been looking in my rules and case books and could not find any reference. Is there somewhere else I should look for this type of thing?

I remember reading here about a similar unsporting technical foul where a player gets on his hands and knees and barks like a dog to distract the defense and this is supposed to be ruled an unsporting technical foul. Where (other than here) would this type of thing be found to reference when defending a call? Or did I miss this stuff in the rules and case book?

shishstripes Wed Dec 31, 2008 08:23am

what were they yelling? "Ball, ball, ball, ball..." Anything insulting? Would need to know what was being yelled before I reply further.

ma_ref Wed Dec 31, 2008 08:45am

Tough to say without knowing what the player was saying. If it's something bad, you could possibly consider that taunting which results in a T. Otherwise I think you have to let it go. Perhaps what your instructor was thinking of was an opponent waving their hands in the face of a player, which is illegal and also a T?

DonInKansas Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by shishstripes (Post 563017)
what were they yelling? "Ball, ball, ball, ball..." Anything insulting? Would need to know what was being yelled before I reply further.

Hands don't the thing I hate most about working basketball games. More annoying than "chatter" in baseball games (Hey batta batta.....).

shishstripes Wed Dec 31, 2008 05:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonInKansas (Post 563069)
Hands don't the thing I hate most about working basketball games.

What???

grunewar Wed Dec 31, 2008 05:36pm

He probably meant "hands down" the "Ball, Ball, Ball" yelling is what he likes least about working hoops.

refnrev Wed Dec 31, 2008 07:32pm

You see this almost exclusively in girls games (a chickball thing) around here, however I'm told that a lot of boys do it now in other parts of the country, too. Personally, I hate it... but it's not illegal.

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 31, 2008 07:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refnrev (Post 563274)
You see this almost exclusively in girls games (a chickball thing) around here, however I'm told that a lot of boys do it now in other parts of the country, too. Personally, I hate it... but it's not illegal.

Whenever I have a boy doing this, I tell him "only girls do that". They usually stop immediately.

refnrev Wed Dec 31, 2008 07:47pm

Someone on this forum was talking about a big school with big, burly guys doing this. I still think it looks ridiculous... like the contorted body positions on the tree throw spaces!

DonInKansas Wed Dec 31, 2008 08:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 563228)
He probably meant "hands down" the "Ball, Ball, Ball" yelling is what he likes least about working hoops.

This.

*facepalm*

Eye spel gud. :p