Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 25, 2000, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Smile

quote:
Originally posted by Brian on 02-25-2000 09:35 AM
My poliicy is this, if I feel I must blow my whistle from trail on a block / charge stiuation, that is all I do. Yes I hold the closed fist above my head, and wait for the lead to make his/her call and see what it is. Then we are together, if he fields any heat for his decison you both have the same call, whether you really agree or not.

Brian, if that's how you handle that situation, I've no doubt I could work with you anytime. The reality is, though, that we don't always work with guys that are as attuned to such situations--they think they "see it," so they call it, regardless if it was coming at the Lead. Of course, sometimes the Trail is on the dribbler, who then tries to drive toward the hoop and meets a "road block." The Trail follows the play and, depending on how far to the hoop the player got, may make the call legitimately, but the Lead may also have seen it coming and made the call. Either way, it shouldn't be a problem if at least ONE of them pauses to see what the other had and doesn't signal right away. But no doubt more than once in a career it will happen that BOTH guys signal, and signal differently. Still not a major problem if one of the refs "admits" (to the coaches) to not having had a real good angle or having seen the whole play, and gives up the call to his partner who had a "good look at it." But that darn reality keeps coming in once in a while and messes things up for us--i.e., a stubborn partner who insists his was the right call, even if he wasn't in the best position to see it. Oh well, thankfully it IS a rare occurence.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2000, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to MRGOLF
A great way that I've found that works pretty good if your the trail is to hold your call and close like crazy to buy you some more time to make your call.

Brian I think in my experience anyway in two man this happens when the call is on the trails side of the floor. Yeah you should wait but I'm sure you've had partners before that unfortunatly are on their own page and don't even look or care what their partner has.

Common sense says you should come together but it doesn't always happen.

Mike
Old Fri Feb 25, 2000, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Okay, I've recently read a number of threads about double fouls called during block/charge situations simply because one person won't bend to the other. My question is this, why would you call a block or charge from trail (assuming it is in the paint)? The lead has the better view of the defense! He is the one to make that call. My poliicy is this, if I feel I must blow my whistle from trail on a block / charge stiuation, that is all I do. Yes I hold the closed fist above my head, and wait for the lead to make his/her call and see what it is. Then we are together, if he fields any heat for his decison you both have the same call, whether you really agree or not.
To have to call a block and charge on the same play is something that comes from lack of communication and should only happen once in your lifetime as a Referee. Now I am goingto get down from my pedestal and hear some comments, anyone.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2000, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Brian, you better knock on wood, i did after reading your message. Yes, Trail holds fist always. Lead almost always has a better look at the defense. But you ask why? Womens mechanics; if ball comes from trails primary and goes straight to hoop, the mechanics say trail has the call. Now you and I know we will give it to lead, unless he tells me to take it. Generally only happens if he has had last few calls. Now you see what happens when you ask a nobrainer ?.
Old Sun Feb 27, 2000, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

"Womens mechanics; if ball comes from trails primary and goes straight to hoop, the mechanics say trail has the call. Now you and I know we will give it to lead, unless he tells me to take it."
Actually, the situation you describe is true for a drive coming from C, as C has primary coverage all the way to the bucket on his side. For a drive coming from Trail, Lead would still be primary. If you're the Trail in this situation hold your signal for an instant, If lead comes out strong, let him take it.

[This message has been edited by Jim Weiler (edited February 27, 2000).]