The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What's the correct signal for this violation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50573-whats-correct-signal-violation.html)

GFS-1 Sun Dec 28, 2008 08:34am

What's the correct signal for this violation

Team A attempts a shot on goal, Team B gets the rebound but that player starts throwing his elbows side to side. I understand this is either a player-control, intentional or flagrant foul. So what is the correct Official signal?
Is it fist in the air, hand behind the head or punch and then point in the opposite direction?

Hope your season's going well
GFS-1

Freddy Sun Dec 28, 2008 08:41am

Point to where the throw in will be administered by A as a result of the violation. Cf. 10-13.

mbyron Sun Dec 28, 2008 09:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GFS-1 (Post 562069)
Team A attempts a shot on goal, Team B gets the rebound but that player starts throwing his elbows side to side. I understand this is either a player-control, intentional or flagrant foul. So what is the correct Official signal?
Is it fist in the air, hand behind the head or punch and then point in the opposite direction?

Hope your season's going well
GFS-1

1. "Shot on goal"? Sounds like soccer or hockey.
2. Your post title concerns the "swinging the elbows" violation, not any kind of foul. The violation is to be called only where you do not have contact.

If that's what you're asking about, then you want to whistle, extend an open hand to stop the clock, and point to the out of bounds spot. There is no distinct signal for excessive swinging of elbows.

Do not signal a foul for this (or any other) violation.

just another ref Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 562076)
1. There is no distinct signal for excessive swinging of elbows.

Actually, there is. It's basically to duplicate the throwing of the elbow as done by the player. Raise the elbow to shoulder height, arm parallel to the floor.

Ed Maeder Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 562076)
1. "Shot on goal"? Sounds like soccer or hockey.
2. Your post title concerns the "swinging the elbows" violation, not any kind of foul. The violation is to be called only where you do not have contact.

If that's what you're asking about, then you want to whistle, extend an open hand to stop the clock, and point to the out of bounds spot. There is no distinct signal for excessive swinging of elbows.

Do not signal a foul for this (or any other) violation.

Signal #27 for NFHS excessively swinging arm(s) / elbow(s). No contact no foul. Open hand, signal #27, point to spot where ball will be in-bounded by opposing team.

mbyron Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:16am

Thank you. I'd forgotten #27, possibly because I've never called this violation.:o

Adam Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:27am

I usually call this about once a year at the JV level. I've never seen it at the varsity level.

Raymond Sun Dec 28, 2008 04:44pm

On the NCAA-W side of EOfficials.com there is actually a video where a player does this twice and the officials failed to whistle the violation.