The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Becoming (an) "Official" (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50552-becoming-official.html)

lbennaim Thu Dec 25, 2008 09:24pm

Becoming (an) "Official"

I am interested in becoming an official and was wondering if anyone could guide me through the process. To be honest, i do not even know where to start. any advice would be greatly appreciated...

tjones1 Thu Dec 25, 2008 09:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbennaim (Post 561672)
I am interested in becoming an official and was wondering if anyone could guide me through the process. To be honest, i do not even know where to start. any advice would be greatly appreciated...

What state are you located in?

lbennaim Thu Dec 25, 2008 09:31pm

Philadelphia, PA but i would also want to become certified in NJ as well..

Freddy Thu Dec 25, 2008 09:38pm

New Official "Sticky"?

Ya know, this is such a frequent question. And a good one, at that. And I'd imagine that people new to our discussion board would have no clue as to how to search for the previous threads where the question was answered very well. Might it be beneficial for one of the moderators to set up a sticky where up-and-coming enquirers could get an answer to this valid question? That way they won't think we're not interested in their inquiry, when in fact we've responded to this question dozens of times previously.

Maybe call it, "Interested in Becoming an Official?"

Just a thought.

tjones1 Thu Dec 25, 2008 09:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbennaim (Post 561677)
Philadelphia, PA but i would also want to become certified in NJ as well..

Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association
Here's a start: PIAA - Officials
Become an Official: PIAA - Officials - Become an Official

New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association
NJSIAA Officials Associations

This should get you started. There are several posters who are from these states that might be able to provide a little more information. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Back In The Saddle Thu Dec 25, 2008 09:42pm

Another important question is what level of ball do you want to work? Getting into recreation/park league ball has different requirements from intramural and from high school ball.

Assuming you are looking to do high school ball, the basic process usually (again, it varies from place to place) involves registering with your state office, and joining an officials association (called a board in many places). There may be some classes to take, which will benefit you greatly. There is often a test to pass. You will need to be familiar with the rule set for the level you'll be calling, and with the mechanics used by the group you'll officiate with.

All pretty generic information, I know. I would expect some folks from Philly and from NJ to be by soon enough to share more specifics.

Good luck and welcome to the glamorous world of basketball officiating. :D

BillyMac Thu Dec 25, 2008 09:43pm

Good Place To Start ...

IAABO:

Pennsylvania IAABO Boards

New Jersey IAABO Boards

lbennaim Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:08pm

Thanks for all your help!

Mark Padgett Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:18pm

First of all, forget everything you think you learned about rules by watching NBA games. :rolleyes:

stmaryrams Fri Dec 26, 2008 03:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 561695)
First of all, forget everything you think you learned about rules by watching NBA games. :rolleyes:

Add "Over the Back" and "Reaching In" to what Mark said.

BillyMac Fri Dec 26, 2008 04:56pm

You're Right Coach, He Did Reach In, But There Was No Illegal Contact ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by stmaryrams (Post 561822)
"Reaching In".

4.19.3 SITUATION D: Late in the fourth quarter Team B is trailing by six points. Team B's head coach begins to yell to his or her players to "foul, foul, foul!" B1 responds by reaching for the ball but illegally contacting A1 on the arm. RULING: A common foul shall be called as B1 was making a legitimate attempt to "play the ball." COMMENT: Fouling near the end of a game is an acceptable coaching and playing strategy. Officials must determine if a foul is intentional by judging the fouling act itself, not whether or not the coach instructed a player to perform the act.

4-24-2: It is legal use of hands to reach to block or slap the ball controlled by a dribbler or a player throwing for goal or a player holding it and accidentally hitting the hand of the opponent when it is in contact with the ball.

Who started the idea that, "reaching in" should not be discussed in the context of the rules? It may not always be a foul for illegal contact, but "reaching in" is a part of the game.