The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Throw-In Mechanics (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50541-throw-mechanics.html)

Fritz Wed Dec 24, 2008 02:42pm

Throw-In Mechanics

Looking for some guidance; had an evaluator tell me the other night that you should always bounce the ball to the player making a throw-in. But had a senior partner tell me he hands/flips the ball if he is on the baseline and bounces it if the throw-in is along the sideline. Watched high school and college games on TV and seen both.

Just curious if anyone has a good rule of thumb to use and why. Was told that the quickest way to move up in the ranks is to make sure your mechanics are solid but haven't found anything about this.

Nevadaref Wed Dec 24, 2008 02:47pm

The NFHS manual recommends handing the ball to players along the endline and recommends bouncing the ball to players on the sidelines.

That said, it is only a recommendation. Handing the ball or bouncing the ball in either case is fine. You should do what your local assignor and local officials want.

JRutledge Wed Dec 24, 2008 02:51pm

Listen to the people that you work for. That is all that matters.

If it matters to you, my state does not want us to ever bounce the ball on the end line. And we are never to flip the ball to the thrower.

Peace

Ch1town Wed Dec 24, 2008 02:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz (Post 561466)
Was told that the quickest way to move up in the ranks is to make sure your mechanics are solid but haven't found anything about this.

May be "one" of the criteria but there's much more to advancing OR you could always move to SoCal :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz (Post 561466)
had an evaluator tell me the other night that you should always bounce the ball to the player making a throw-in.

Perhaps the evaluator meant all throw-ins except froncourt endline...
Double check with your area big dogs to make sure.

Ignats75 Wed Dec 24, 2008 03:11pm

I've had evaluators and/or assignors contradict each other on many of these types of questions. Talk to people you trust and go with what you think is right.

JRutledge Wed Dec 24, 2008 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignats75 (Post 561473)
I've had evaluators and/or assignors contradict each other on many of these types of questions. Talk to people you trust and go with what you think is right.

One person was an evaluator; the other was just an (senior) official. I would listen to the evaluator first and just keep under advisement what others say.

Peace

NYBLUE Wed Dec 24, 2008 05:03pm

Standards for my organization (NY state Girls HS, Central Western region):

Hand the ball to the player when administering the throw-in on the frontcourt endline. Bounce the ball when the throw-in occurs on the backcourt endline.
All sideline throw-ins are bounced.

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 24, 2008 05:05pm

I like to hold the ball but bounce the player. Endline or sideline is irrelevant.

Nevadaref Wed Dec 24, 2008 06:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYBLUE (Post 561486)
Standards for my organization (NY state Girls HS, Central Western region):

Hand the ball to the player when administering the throw-in on the frontcourt endline. Bounce the ball when the throw-in occurs on the backcourt endline.
All sideline throw-ins are bounced.

Not sure how helpful that is given that you play by NCAAW rules on the girls side, and thus may also employ many NCAAW mechanics.

BillyMac Wed Dec 24, 2008 07:14pm

IAABO Throwin Mechanics ...

Administering official may bounce the ball to the thrower, with the following exceptions:
- On all frontcourt endline throwins, the ball shall be handed to the thrower.
- If fans or bench personnel create congestion, or there is defensive pressure, the ball shall be handed to the thrower.

Administering official may hand the ball to the thrower (no exceptions listed).

Not very clear? Need more information? You're out of luck. That's all I can find regarding handing, or bouncing, for two-person IAABO throwin mechanics.

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 561511)
Administering official may bounce the ball to the thrower, .......That's IAABO throwin mechanics.

So now IAABO stands for "I Am A Bouncy Official"? :confused:

Back In The Saddle Thu Dec 25, 2008 01:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 561511)
...or there is defensive pressure...

This is the primary reason TO bounce the ball to the thrower. Get wide, so you have a good look at everything, then bounce the ball to the thrower.

Adam Thu Dec 25, 2008 01:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 561562)
This is the primary reason TO bounce the ball to the thrower. Get wide, so you have a good look at everything, then bounce the ball to the thrower.

For this reason I've started always bouncing on the sidelines and BC endline. Even caught myself bouncing on the FC endline.

I did catch myself flipping once on the sideline this year. Luckily, it felt weird so I haven't done it again.

amusedofficial Thu Dec 25, 2008 04:59am

Personally, I prefer to bounce the coaches and, if I can, the parents who amuse themselves by loudly counting off perceived three-second violations.

Back In The Saddle Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by amusedofficial (Post 561571)
Personally, I prefer to bounce the coaches and, if I can, the parents who amuse themselves by loudly counting off perceived three-second violations.

I have taken to congratulating these parents on the quality of their public school education. I assure them that my public school shortchanged me by only teaching me to count to 2. ;)